SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hunzo_gw

carphephorus odoratissimus (Vanillaleaf, Deer's Tongue)

hunzo
15 years ago

I would like to grow this plant in my flower garden but I am having a difficult time finding seeds. Can anyone help?

Comments (13)

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

Google it.

• hunzo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"google it" has been done before posting here. A source for this plant is not as easy to find as one might think. Finding information on the plant is easy but finding the actual plant or seeds has been unsucessful so far. That is why I posted the query here to get some help locating seeds or a live plant. With all do respect "google it" is not much help in this situation.

• foolyap
    15 years ago

This place sells Carphephorus corymbosus seed separately, and C. odoratissimus as part of a wildflower mix.

http://www.floridawildflowers.com/seed.htm

Perhaps if you called them, they might either be able to sell you some of the latter specially?

BTW, when I googled that Latin name, I found one site suggesting that Trilisa odoratissima is another name for it? Perhaps that's a different plant entirely, but I wonder if there's been a recent renaming of it? If so, perhaps the name Trilisa odoratissima might also be fruitful to search for?

--Steve

• hunzo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Foolyap (Steve),

Thanks, but I already contacted floridawilflowers.com before submitting my original post. They, indeed, include the C. odoratissimus in the mix however the seeds are gathered all together from a field of wildflowers that includes C. odoratissimus but the seeds are not gathered by individual species. Also, the name Trilisa odoratissima is an older name for the same plant and I have persued that thread as well.

• terrene
    15 years ago

You could try posting a request on the Seed Exchange forum, or search the Exchange lists of Gardenweb members. Somebody here might have the seeds for this plant. Many traders are willing to share seeds if you send a SASBE (self-addressed stamped bubble envelope).

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb Member Exchange Pages

• hunzo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

terrene,

Thanks, I have posted a seed request as you suggested.

• fatamorgana2121
    15 years ago

I asked Dr. Google and he gave me the link below. It's a nursery that listed this plant on their available list. The list is from 2007 but you could contact them or read through their website for more info.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Full Moon Natives

• hunzo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

FataMorgana,

Thanks, I saw their list and I e-mailed Full Moon Natives over a month ago. They did not respond. I e-mailed again today. Perhaps I'll have to phone them.

• wildflowergranny
    15 years ago

If you are still interested I have some seeds from last year or can possibly send you a small transplant.

• hunzo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wildflowergranny,

Yes, I'm still interested. Send what you're able. I have a PayPal account and can compensate your costs. Either or both would be greatly appreciated.

Advance Thanks,

Hunzo

• jgr1974
    14 years ago

Hello,

Wondering if you have any more you could spare? I would like to have some of this as well, hard to find!!!

• jgr1974_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

anyone ever come up with seeds for this plant? I would love to have some to make a nice blending herb for tobacco

• jharnage7_aol_com
    13 years ago

I'd like to purchase some seeds and or plants. My family were old-time harvesters of deer tongue. Sold to traveling salesmen. Good for tobacco blend, allergies, and fever. Have Pay Pal. Thank you.

Sponsored