SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beckycrazymommy

Not really new, but newbie kind of question.....garden design

Crazymommy
9 years ago

I am wondering about garden design. I curren garden with all one basic kind of plant together. All annuals in pots. All bulbs in one spot. All perennials in other spots.

I've seen lots of plans which talk of putting bulbs and perennials together or lots of different perennials together. I have a spot that I'd love to put some bulbs, but I don't want it to be bare the rest of the year. The only other place that I put bulbs, I grow annuals from seed so I essentially just add more dirt over seeds so I don't need to disturb the bulbs.

I just can't figure out how I can do both bulbs and perennials in one location. Is there a method written out? Or is it more trial and error? I must say that I am very intimidated by the prospect. The area I am looking at has a small rose bush, and on the other side a border of creeping phlox and day lillies. I know I should not crowd the rose, but I'd like more going on here. Something all year. It seems a good place to plant bulbs right now, but if I want to add a few perennials later, I am completely unsure how to do that. How do I know that the roots and bulbs won't compete?

I also have another area where I want to add more things, but it scares me to mix things in. I have bleeding hearts and ferns in a darker area, but not much else. I'd like to fill in for when the bleeding hearts die back, but once again, root competition has me worried.

Any suggestions?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions