SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lecorbeau

ideas for landscaping with natives

K
18 years ago

I have a strip of yard between my house and the neighbors' that I have almost finished stripping of periwinkle and ivy. The part that is mine is level and about 15 feet wide with an east southeast exposure, half of which is mostly shade, with the more northerly end getting about 4 hours of morning sun. The soil is acid red clay. At the edge of my property, the land starts sloping sharply downward to the neighbors' driveway.

I plan to cover my side in cardboard and newspaper and then do a lasagna bed over it covered in pine straw until I can find the plants I want, which I would like to be mostly natives. While I worked on getting the vinca and ivy out, the neighbors decided to get rid of the same, but they were in a hurry and not as thorough, and there is vinca popping up in the grass that they have planted on the slope.

This is a spot that I'm sure has been an eyesore to them while I've slowly eradicated the vines, and this side of their house is where their friends usually enter. It is beautifully landscaped (on the other side of their driveway). They have been nothing but pleasant while putting up with my project.

As for me, that side of the house is the farthest from any of our activities, so I would like it to be very low maintenance. It will be a slow project because of time and budget considerations. I should add that the area is not totally bare. There are a few shrubs, most of which I will move or remove totally, but which I am leaving until I have something to replace them with. I'd like to eventually put stepping stones leading from the front to the gate at the back on that side.

Right up against the house is about a 4 foot wide strip of gravel held in place by rotting landscaping timbers. I'd like to take the timbers out but leave the gravel and do the lasagna bed right up to it. (I don't want to have the mulch right up against the house for fear of termites.)

Another problem about this area is that it has been heavily tunneled through by chipmunks. I suppose this is why the cat of the neighbors on my other side spends a lot of time in our yard on that side. These tunnels are one of the reasons I want stepping stones. At the moment, walking across it is treacherous.

Here are some questions I have:

1. Should I worry about my lasagna bed washing down the slope, and if so how should I keep that from happening?

2. With the lasagna bed, are the chances of the neighbor's vinca re-invading my area worse than without it? Should I leave a bare strip there?

3. Is there likely to be a problem with the gravel abutting the lasagna bed with nothing to separate them?

4. What native shrubs and perennials would do well in this situation?

5. Is there a small native tree that could shade the two windows (2 trees) without getting too big for the space, and without scraping the windows? (Windows' bottoms are about 8 feet off the ground.) This should not have berries that birds like because of the cars next to it.

6. What should I do about the chipmunks, if anything?

I'd sure appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks.

Carolinakate

Comments (12)

Sponsored