SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhbabs

Witch hazel blooming

NHBabs z4b-5a NH
18 years ago

I planted a vernal witch hazel (Hamamelis vernalis) last summer, and I've been checking it weekly since then. The buds have been swelling for weeks due to the unseasonably warm weather, but when I checked yesterday it was blooming! Except for early bulbs like Iris reticulata planted against a south or west wall, I've never had anything blooming so early. Even the red maples aren't thinking of blooming!

Comments (27)

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

Isn't Witch Hazel terrific? Do you know what variety you've got?

Here's a shot of my Arnold's Promise, which has been blooming since late January/early Feb:

{{gwi:1060800}}

I'm going to have to work on my photo skills, this looks much better in person. I've also got a Jelena and a Diane - one is red, one bronzy-orange, but I have to admit that I doon't know which is which. Arnold, on the other had, is unmistakable, bith for that clear yellow and for its long season - it blooms about 3 times as long as my others.

• isabella__MA
    18 years ago

Great post;

My 4-foot high Sunburst witch hazel is in its second year, and this winter (2005/20060) it has been putting out fantastically bright yellow straplike blooms since 15 Feburary. The blooms are incredible and inspiring to see against snow covered ground and a Yew background planting. Even,when my Rhodies are curling their leaves against the cold, the sunburts is living up to its name. This plant is enough to make me put on my coat and snowboots to get a closer look at it.

I have been wanting to plant even earlier blooming witchhazels, than sunburst, but I didn't know which one(s) to plant. Witchhazel bloomtime literature citations are not very concise nor corroborative. For example, I found it interesting that your Vernal witchhazel is blooming this late and diggingthedirt's Arnold bloomed so early. From literatue sources I would have thought Vernal, Sunburst, then Arnold would bloom.

If anyone has any other bloom dates for their varieties, please post them. I am still trying to decide on my next witch hazel to plant!

• Related Discussions

Witch Hazels Blooming

Q

Comments (3)
    Well with the cold the last couple days, the petals have all furled back up, buds are tightly shut again! I have not seen them so closed up before, after their first opening. Damp cold has been pretty sharp. Sorry, no photos for now. Witch Hazels are funny looking, worth finding one to view up close. I do not think they show well from much distance.
    ...See More

Hungry for witch hazel bloom

Q

Comments (47)
    No problem, Paula; glad you have an appreciation for my hijacking of your thread. You posted the following: "Indeed, you've been a member since 2001, what took you so friggin' long to decide to leave if you hate us so much. All of 34 eh? Your lack of wisdom unattained as yet is evident." Clearly you lack the intelligence to read and then understand what I wrote in my posts. Who do I hate, Paula? It's a fact that many Americans abroad make their presence known in a crass fashion. Saying that doesn't mean I hate all of you. As I said, some of my closest friends are American. Why have you asked why it's taken me so long to leave? Are you that stupid, Paula? I would have thought that it's obvious that my decision was swayed by the bull**** written by bboy and his self-belief that he actually knows what he's talking about. Yep, I'm 34 years old; can one not have wisdom at that age? I know plenty of much older people who are not wise. You know very little about me, so by making that judgement, it may well be YOU who has picked up no wisdom along the way, otherwise you would know better than to say such a thing. Amazing that you can judge based on a few posts. You must be a magician. One more thing, Paula, just to make sure my posts have the same consistent tone..... fcuk off with the other two morons who have replied to me. Offensive enough for you?
    ...See More

Witch Hazel Blooming

Q

Comments (1)
    Noticed my Arnold Promise starting to bloom this morning.
    ...See More

Witch Hazel blooming

Q

Comments (1)
    What, no pictures?!
    ...See More
  • diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

I think bloom time varies depending on where you plant, too, but Jelena claims to be one of the earliest varieties, and mine did start a little bit before my Arnold - I checked the Heronswood website to figure out which was which.

Jelena's flowers, on my plant,anyway, are a bit too "coppery" (read "brown") for it to be a real stand-out, in my opinion. It may be the location, or the surroundings - and it does look good when back-lit in the late afternoon.

So may hams, so little space!

Here is a link that might be useful: WH at Heronswood

• ginny12
    18 years ago

I live well north of Boston and my Arnold Promise blooms most years around Valentine's Day--Feb. 14. This year, it was even earlier than that. I have it on the south side of the house in my very cold garden, where it is protected from the cold blast of the north wind that scours most of my garden. It always looks great--not a fussy plant. There is a good thread about this shrub on the Shrubs forum right now, with additional info.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    18 years ago

I noticed the Heronswood website says in the individual descriptions that all of the Hamamelis cultivars they sell are fragrant. I've never read this mentioned by anyone in posts. Is the fragrance significant? or does it just dissipate in the cold air?

Claire

• ginny12
    18 years ago

Mine isn't a bit fragrant--and I've checked because I have read this too.

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

You might smell it if you bring in a few branches - I've never brought in branches, but I check mine outdoors all the time and can't detect any scent at all.

• isabella__MA
    18 years ago

Neither my common nor my sunburst WH have any noticeable fragarence. But it's usually cold, when I am outside with them, so I don't notice any fragarence. The winter color is good enough.

I am waiting for a variegated variety to be developed. Cornellian cherry variegata is another early spring plant to consider. It has a more four season interest.

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

Cornellian cherry (Cornus mas) isn't as early as hamamelis vernalis, at least not the variety that I've got. Viburnum bodnantense 'Dawn' is very early, mine's too young to know if it will be as floriferous as the witch hazels. It's supposed to bloom in winter, the flowers on mine are just showing color now.

Jasminium nudiflorum is also blooming now in my garden, but I don't think it's hardy much north (or inland) of here.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My Cornus mas 'variegata' isn't even thinking of blooming yet, but there are some C. mas at UNH planted against the side of a garage that bloom well before the forsythia. Huge bushes that from a distance as I drove down the road were stunning.

Most of you are a bit warmer than I am (and I'm defiinitely suffering witch hazel envy!) I planted H. vernalis, a native species, rather than the H x intermedia which is a cross between Japanese and Chinese witch hazels (H. mollis and H. japonica), because it's hardier than most of the H. x intermedia varieties. I've only run across a few selections of vernal witch hazel, and mine is just the straight species, found at my neighborhood Agway.

I think I'll probably try some of the hardier H x intermedias in the future to see if any will survive because they have much more impressive flowers, both color and petal size. I've read research from U of ME at Orono that found H 'Ruby Glow' is hardiest (though it's a red that is a bit unimpressive compared to others due to small petal size) and that Pallida is hardier than Arnold Promise. (Ginny 12 - How cold does it get where you are? The coldest I've recorded in the spot where I am now is -22 F one winter, but it gets to -15 or -18 most winters.)

Right now, I'm just thrilled to have anything blooming!

• ginny12
    18 years ago

Hi NHBabs--I have gotten to 15 below several times, tho it is not usual. Zero is usually our low but I shoot for 15 below when planting anything here because it does happen. Plus I have a cold, windy, exposed garden. My Arnold Promise is on the south side of my house to promote earliest bloom. This is one great plant. It's worth a shot, I'd say. Plus no pests or diseases and great fall color. Make sure you get the real Arnold Promise from a reliable nursery. They are not expensive--have been around quite awhile.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    18 years ago

Hmm, I'll have to think about this. For long term plants, I like to plant for -20. Pallida sounds like a better idea, though Fairweather carries some vernalis selections. I think one is variegated.

The fairly scary thing is that the H. x intermedias have been around for a while, and I don't remember ever seeing a single one locally.

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

Oops, I see I accidentally referred to Arnold, Jelena and Diane as H vernalis. Sorry if this caused any confusion, I was just being lazy and cutting and pasting.

My Jelena is always trying to revert to its wood stock, I wonder if that's an H vernalis. I plan to try rooting some of the little stems that grow from the base this year and see how they look; I'm also planning to root the top growth, as insurance against loss.

• isabella__MA
    18 years ago

I'm running out of places to plant, but I'll be making room for another witchhazel! The winter color is too much to resist. Most likely planting a vernalis "christmas cheer" a another varieagated variety. It' amazing that there is a plant for almost any type of condition. Before I started getting interested in gardening, I never would have believed a plant would bloom in winter.

• Richard Dollard
    18 years ago

I just bought an arnold'spromise today at Cheshire Nursery. What do they look like the rest of the year....like the leaves in the spring,summer and fall. Thanks,Richie

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I went out today to check the scent of my H. vernalis, but didn't get much scent. It was windy today and I've got a cold, so I'll try again on a warm quiet day when I'm not so congested. It's planted against a backdrop of hemlocks, so I'm hoping that when it's a bit fuller the overall impression will be greater, but I'm happy with the blooms, regardless of their small size.

Richie - In general, most Hamamelis have medium sized kind of hairy-textured leaves with scalloped edges that turn yellow to orange in the fall. I really like the branch stucture of the H. virginiana that grows wild here, but I can't speak specificially to Arnold Promise. In general witch hazels aren't particularly exciting plants most of the year, but they are nice background shrubs in my opinion.

• ginny12
    18 years ago

Arnold Promise has great fall color--quite stunning! And pruned well, it has nice form as well. And no pests or diseases that I have ever seen. Good choice, javaandjazz.

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

Richie, I agree with nhbabs - Arnold shines in February and March, and glows in fall, but isn't especially charming in summer. The leaves are somewhat coarse, but are a clean medium green, never bothered by pests (in my garden, anyway) so they stay neat.

If you don't know where you will plant it, I can give you some advice; site it where it will be backlit by the setting (or rising) sun to get the most out of it.

Mine is quite near the house, where I can see the flowers out a west window when it's too cold to go outside. In summer, when I'm in the yard all the time, it's a backdrop to other plants that are more interesting at that season.

Sure hope you like Arnold as much as I do!

• Richard Dollard
    18 years ago

I was thinking a southwest area to plant it alongside the driveway but I may move something from near the house and put the witch hazel there. Either the south or east side of the house. Thanks!

• Marie Tulin
    18 years ago

When pallida is in full bloom and there is a warm spell, one of those odd 45-50 degree days in February or early March, there is a distinct fragrance. Not sweet, but slightly astringent...There is a def. smell, and I love it. But then, I'm the one who can't stand boxwood (cat pee)and cilantro, so perhaps my nose is over sensitive.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

I want to get a Witch Hazel next year. Which ones are the best that bloom around late February/early March? Looking for something that has an attractive branching habit and bark with good fall color too. Anyone have one like that?

pm2

• isabella__MA
    16 years ago

I got sunburst WH (Feb/march), christmas cheer (once in December/Jan), and vernalis (march - it was bought through Mail order as a Virginina though!!).

Look at the ForestFarm website. They have good descriptions and pics along with the blooming periods.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Thanks isabella for that website. It was not one that I would have thought of, but I do like that company. I will check them out!

:-)
    pm2

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I bought a 'Diane' H. intermedia last fall (a good sized plant and on sale at one of my local nurseries - I couldn't resist!) and it bloomed from about the third week of March onward for about 3 or 4 weeks. It put the H. vernalis to shame - so much fuller and brighter: a dark red that faded over time to an orange-red. The bloom period of the two plants overlapped, though I think H. vernalis was a bit later. Last winter was pretty mild, however, so I'll just have to see if the 'Diane' does as well on a consistent basis or whether it suffers dieback or doesn't bloom some of the colder years.

• diggingthedirt
    16 years ago

PM2 - Just make sure to ask about the rootstock - one of mine, eiother Jelena or Diane - has lots of rootstock suckers coming up from the base. I've read, on the trees forum, probably, that some stock suckers much more than other types. Wish I could remember the particulars of what type of hamamellis is good and which is liable to sprout, but it's completely gone (old age, no doubt!).

The branching habit on all 3 of mine (Jelena, Diane, and Arnold's Promise) is really nice, but suckering absolutely spoils the effect. One of these years I will get some cuttings rooted, and will remove the parent; it's impossible to stay ahead of the suckers because of the fairly low and wide-spreading branching habit of the top growth. There's a good chance these were from Forestfarm, I buy a lot of small trees from them. Other than this problem, I highly recommend them, too.

Arnold blooms much longer than the reds, but he's a few years older than the others in my garden. One of my reds is a bit more bronze than I'd like, too. The clear yellow of Arnold Promise is certainly a sign of spring that you can't miss around here - really brightens up a gray day in February or March.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

babs, I seem to like both the yellows and the reds so I will have to take a look at that 'Diane'. I haven't seen any of these in a garden setting, only in photos. I hope you have good luck with yours this winter..and maybe you will post a photo in the spring when it blooms? :-)

dtd...What a shame that the suckering spoils the effect. One of the qualities I like about the witch hazel, is the form. The bloom and the fall foliage alone is something you can probably find in other shrubs, but I have seen a number of photos of WHazels that have a wonderful form. Of course, I was assuming that some pruning was involved to do that, but I didn't realize they sucker that badly. I think it would make me unhappy if it suckered that much. For instance, on crabtrees that have a lot of suckering at the base. I really want to see that single, attractive trunk and the suckering at the base just spoils it for me.

So, when you say 'ask about the rootstock', are you saying that the particular shrubs you bought from forestfarm were the problem and that some nurseries might sell some that won't sucker?

Can I ask, what is your favorite aspect of having a Witch Hazel in your garden and if you gave it away would you really miss it?

Thank you both.. :-)
    pm2

• perennialfan273
    16 years ago

Diggingthedirt, I know this isn't a trading forum, but I'm extremely interested in trading you for some of your Diane, Jelena, and Arnold's Promise witch hazels. I did some research on propogating them, and seeds and cuttings aren't too effective, but if you were to bud or graft them that would work. I'd be willing to trade you some stella d'oro lilies, mulberry tree cuttings, lily of the valley, purple sage, or chives for them. You can reach me at someguy00273952@yahoo.com. I hope we can trade.