SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

Welcome me back to the world of hosta gardening!

thisismelissa
11 years ago

How I've Failed at Hosta Gardening in 2012

Since going back to work outside the home and no longer having summers off, I've not had the time to spend in my garden. So, the beds are loaded with weeds. I pull a few at a time, but every single bed makes me ill looking at how overrun with weeds they are. And since losing the tree, my main bed gets a lot more sun and therefore a lot more weeds. FAIL!

And the section getting more sun was already overcrowded, now it's awful! FAIL!

Other than moving a hosta to my newly expanded front bed, and digging one to give it away, I'd not planted a single hosta. FAIL!

Until tonight, I was feeling absolutely disconnected from hosta gardening. Despite acquiring 28 hostas (some replacements for deads/duds) and despite going to the Midwest Hosta Convention, I did not feel like a hosta gardener.

What changed?

I planted a bed I started last summer!

I remembered how much I enjoy composing a bed. Ok, I have a solid green, then a white margin, then a solid gold, what next? Got it. Dark Margin. And down here, a solid blue." I adore that! My bed is composed of several mature/maturing sized hostas from my overcrowded beds. I had no idea that my Clifford's Forrest Fire was nearly 4 feet across, cuz it was hidden by a hydrangea bush! I have a huge Pineapple Poll I moved in there and a nearly mature Rainbow's End that I finally graduated from my ICU area (a TC I bought in 2007, my first year). But for the most part, I planted new acquisitions from this year and last year.

So, all in all, I got 35-40 planted between last night and today. I think there will be anothe 25-30 to plant to complete this bed. I'm planning it in such a way that as the giants get bigger, I have smaller plants next to them that I can remove.

Ok, so I'm baaack! My name is Melissa and I'm a hostaholic!

Comments (15)