SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

E.O.'s container bog--to the next level!

Janice
15 years ago

Well, I've taken E.O.'s experiment with making a sort of contained bog, (by planting hosta in buckets with the holes drilled around the circumference about 1-1/2 - 2" from the bottoms) to the next level, and planting the hosta, bucket and all into the ground, inside an Agroliner! It just happens to be a hosta he was generous enough to send me an eye of--'Abba Showtime'!

I have done it with two of them, one having a dog-food dish about 3-4" deep into the bottom of the Agroliner, filling it with water and shredded pine bark then the remaining planting material, which consists of some clay, some composted horse manure with hay and clay, etc. and more pine bark. I also inserted a plastic tubing into the soil to the dog dish for intensive water filling!

I also have another hosta planted in the Agroliner without any water reservoir in it! I planted all three plants at the same time.

Can't wait to see how they do--I expect they will do just fine--if not wonderfully!!

I love the bog concept--just wish I had gotten onto it sooner--and there is no way, that I know of, to do a gray water drain from our home due to the area we are living in!

He suggested a kiddie pool buried under the planting area--again, for me, that is just too hard of digging in our rock and clay to pull it off!! Good idea, though!

E.O. and I have our moments of misunderstanding one another, but he has been very helpful to me in my projects and I respect his zeal for experimentation and his bog-evidence for dramatically healthy, thriving hosta!

Thank you, E.O., for all your help! I can't wait to see 'H. Abba Showtime' show her stuff! I just don't know how long before I have to figure out how to do this with a bigger bucket and maybe I'll have to construct a bigger Agroliner bag, myself, by taking two apart and resewing them together again!

BTW--I left the handle on the bucket so I can easily lift the hosta from the ground and check the progress of the roots, etc.!

{{gwi:1068516}}

{{gwi:1068520}}

{{gwi:1068521}}

Comments (10)

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

A couple possible problems, these agro-liners can silt up and not drain so well. I really don't think that will be a water problem with hosta except it might make a little pond over winter leading to more problems with freeze/thaw. Mulch the area over winter to help with this question and a pile of leaves will do and help the plants.

I would have made large holes in the bucket and lots of them to ensure drainage; again I think it will work period. I also don't think it is necessary to have a special spout to water since the water will drain down to the reservoir with overflow moving out through the bag.

One advantage to using H.'Abba Showtime' is I know someone who has more of them in fact he has a bunch, loves experiments, the investigators, and supports investigative work with time and materials.

This is extreme but not hard. Drill a little hole in your bathroom window, now we going to fit a two-sided pipe on either side. Attach a hose (aquarium size) to each side put a small pump in the tub and start the water trough this hose until it has started then allow gravity to move the water. In the winter just cap this the little transfer station. I do this with my bath water all the time or do the same with a washer, sink, toilet used for only certain purposes, any water you have in the house can be moved outside. Our kitchen sink drains to the bog out front; our washer also drains into the front bog.

Well the truth is I don't do the toilet but I could and may do it just because I've raised the specter of doing such a thing.

Nothing that is in your tub, sink, washer, or toilet (used for certain purposes) will be a problem for your plants.

This will be great fun to see the results. "Progress through Science". We look forward to your doctoral thesis on water management.

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh dear---I need to rethink the over-wintering, it sounds like--and then again,
    maybe not--if it's a "normal" one, whatever that is anymore!!

Wish I had an outside bath window--but--I don't!! Now, if I could do a kitchen
    sink---but then--there's the wooden deck! Oh well, I guess I'll just have to think
    more deeply about other ways to 'bog down' my hosta! :o)

• greenguy
    15 years ago

is that a compost mix in the last pic or what did you fill it with? looks fantastic

no wonder your plant always look so good you are making my hostas jealous ;~)

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

HeyJ don't over think it, my questions only give you things to look for as this field trial progresses.

AND, I don't think from my other work with water that it will matter, maybe even be good.

This is just a couple of plants, live and learn. We may all learn things we don't know that will help and make our growing easier.

Now that you are thinking about water conservation you will find a way to use what you have or maybe there is no way for "you" but others may. Every ounce of gray water that doesn't go directly into a sewer will be cleaned by plants and the soil. I can make conservation/practical or even moral arguments for recycling. Do it if you CAN.

Better to put water back into the system (plants) that will use it, clean it, return it to the atmosphere instead of expensive sewage treatment and finally into a stream to contribute to a flood downstream.

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

Janice will you be taking photos of the installation, etc?

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

re: Janice will you be taking photos of the installation, etc?

..as any respectable hosta-experimentalist would!!! :o) Now--which installation are you referring to?

Greenguy--sorry I didn't answer you sooner---yes siree, that is some awesome composted horse manure, sawdust, a tad of clay and wood chips! I could almost eat this stuff it's so wonderful---at least I hope it proves to be WONDERFUL! I'm spreading it EVERYWHERE--even the lawn! This load (2-3 c.y. in a trailer) is my second this year and I plan to go back for more this Fall!

We drive 'the distance' to get it, because it is very reasonably priced and I trust the guy making it, having been to his facility and seeing his components.

• smck1
    15 years ago

Hey Janice,

I'm in Cincinnati. Is the compost guy anywhere close to me? That mixture looks wonderful and I'd love to get some!

Susan

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

Janice will you be taking photos of the installation, etc?

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

Don't know why my question came up 2 times, in any case we are going to learn something, maybe not what we expect but something.

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Absolutely, cincyhostalover!! Email me and I'll give you the name and phone number--(and mine if you want)
    it's in the Waynesville area--$20 a c.y. or backhoe scoop--if you go where he makes the stuff rather than his
    business! It's right off 71, somehow--but I go another way!