SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avajay_gw

New property, clay soil, advice please!

avajay
14 years ago

Hello, long time lurker, 1st time poster.

I bought a home with lots of space late summer of '07, too late to worry about gardening that first year. Didn't do anything about weeds last summer, but I tried to bring up some tomatoes right next to my house, southern exposure, sunny, under my water spigot. Got a few tomatoes, some plants just didn't do too well (well, none were outstanding), tried some in containers, even did one upside down from one of those coconut-lined hanging planters (kinda shallow, I realize now, not deep enough for ample soil for the roots they need). This year I want to be different. (Ya'll go get a cup of coffee, this will be long...sorry.) I had already given up on finding someone to till my ground for me, so I tried to modify the "lasagna garden" with holes for my indoor-started plants (sweet corn..yes, they're doing ok), wet newspaper, liquor store boxes for the walkways and hay (straw?) to cover. Birds are eating my tomato plants, and today, DING....I got a man to till. He came over today, took my shovel, dug a bit and said "good soil..dark", but then pressed it into a ball of clay. I've already noticed that several areas of my property puddle after a good rain, and several days after said rain, I still hear my basement sump pump starting up (leaky basement). It's been 6 days since a rain, and the man didn't have to dig deep to find wet dough. Googling, I see that my soil is clammy and compact with rain, then dry and compact with a dry spell. He's coming tomorrow (Thursday) to till 2 spots, both about 10 by 30 feet, and will return Monday to re-till after soil has had time to dry to make it sifty-er. What amendment shall I have ready for him to till in for Monday's 2nd till? I know that I can get bales(?) of peat, as recommended by the local greenhouse lady. Vermiculite comes to mind, but can one get a bag of vermiculite readily at WalMart or a Gardening center? (doubt it). My main concern is my 22 very young tomato plants, from a "mystery" variety package of heirloom seeds. I've been craving homegrown tomatoes, and I don't want to lose another attempt.

I've got loads more questions, but I think I'll save them for another post. Oh, hay...the local Ace has bales, and an employee brings them in from his place, I don't know if they're hay or straw, what's the difference? I thought about running them through my mower to chop, but do I need to know whether hay or straw first? Or would neither help at this time of year? Do I need to ask him if it's been exposed to insecticide or herbicide? If the answer is yes, would it make a difference if I incorporate chopped whatever-it-is into my tilled plots?

Whatever thoughts, suggestions, anecdotes or even jokes-of-the-day you fine folk can throw my way will be ever so appreciated.

More long winded questions to follow.

Thanks in advance,

Joyce

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor