SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aubade

Favorite Veggie Varieties for NJ?

aubade
15 years ago

Hi all

I'm a new gardener in Woodbridge, NJ, and thinking about what types of plants to put in my veggie garden this Spring. Last year I just grew whatever I got my hands on and had varying results, so this year I am really trying to research what are the easiest to grow, most prolific varieties for this area. Also, my garden is on the small side, so compact or vining plants are best.

I know I want to do Trombocino (zuchetta rampicante) squash on a trellis, but that's it so far.

So these are the plants I'm looking into- and would love to hear what other NJ gardeners think are the best types to grow:

1. Green beans- preferably skinny and crisp like haricot verts, but easy and prolific. (last year I did Scarlet Runner beans and only got a handful- I guess they don't like humidity)

2. Sweet peas (grew Dark Seeded Early Perfection Pea last year, but only got about 30 pods and then no more grew)

3. Beets (grew Organic Detroit Dark Red last year and they all came out very small. I think I ended up with 9 little 1 inch beets)

4. Swiss Chard - (grew Five Color Silverbeet last year and they were extremely slow to grow)

Comments (10)