SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

Fungus Among Us

runktrun
14 years ago

Last fall with thanks to Viburnum Valley I was finally able to identify a serious disease problem that is spreading rapidly throughout my landscape due primarily to my lack of good cultural practices. Yes, I have lopped of branches in the dead of a wet spring, summer, and fall, without cleaning my blade between cuts and I am now beginning to see that has been as bad for my landscape as not cleaning my kitchen cutting board after de-boning a chicken would be to my health and well being. My question to you (if indeed there is anyone out there) is; what do you conveniently carry along with you while pruning to effectively clean the blade between cuts?

We had a very wet 2009, my neck of the woods actually recorded eight inches of rain fall above the average, this coupled with a very cool summer (I don�t think it warmed up enough for those heat loving plants until August), and of course there was the blight that hit both my tomatoes and potatoes. Topping all of this off has been two storms that included desiccating high winds further stressing the non-deciduous plants. To my mind these are but a few stress factors that are adding up to a fungal disease perfect storm of sorts for 2010. Now as I understand it there are hundreds of diseases that will effect hundreds of different species, some are secondary fungi living off of other fungi that have infected our plants further complicating the understanding of fungal diseases. Has there been something off kilter and nagging you in the back of your mind about plants in your landscape? Is there something going on that you can�t quite put your finger on? Share with us if you will in your most descriptive way what mystery seems to be happening in your landscape�. Professor Plum with the pruners in the garden shed!!

As hefty as this topic is, I think this winter would be a good time for us to share what diseases we have found in our landscapes, what we did to stop or slow down the spread in our own landscapes, and more importantly what horticultural practices we will be employing this spring to prevent or slow down the spread. Katy

Comments (8)