SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
francoag

purple wintercreeper and autumnmagic chokeberry

francoag
15 years ago

I have a sloped hill beside my house that is about 6000 square feet and is in direct sunlight. I recently planted 16 fir trees on it and some grass seed. However, since the slope makes it dfficult to mowe, I decided to use ground cover plants instead of grass. After researching different varieties, I decided on a mixture of purple wintercreeper and autumn chokeberry. I believe both plants offer color all year and they are hardy (which is important for a new gardner trying to turn her brown thumb green).

What I would like to know is, would those two plant varieties fare well on the hill, do they spread and how many should I purchase. Any and all suggestions would be useful.

Sincerely,

Andrea Franco-Cook

Charleston, WV

Comments (2)

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

don't know the answer-
    I'm only replying because no one else has!

You might try a regional forum, like Virginia Gardening or Mid-Atlantic Gardening.

Best luck!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

By chokeberry, do you mean Aronia melanocarpa? To consider this a groundcover is a bit of a stretch - it is actually a shrub and can grow to be a good sized one in time. It does tend to sucker after becoming established but not aggressively so therefore it doesn't really have the low, real estate-consuming spreading habit common to most plants considered as groundcovers.

The euonymous is a good choice but prone to scale. I'd consider Genista lydia also for slopes - very hardy, tolerant of hot, dry conditions and a very early and bright bloomer. It won't hurt to include the aronia as well, but keep in mind this won't really perform as a groundcover. Spacing for the euonymus and the genista should be around 18-24", depending on fast you want them to cover.

I've included a link on groundcovers for W. Virginia that provides a nice list (read carefully....some plants are too aggressive or prefer shadier conditions) as well as information on how to plant and establish them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Groundcovers for W Virginia

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting