SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berndnyz5

Nematodes are showing in zone 5

in ny zone5
11 years ago

There I thought that my use of Merit would beat off the nematodes this year, NOPE. They are here in zone 5 already on July 14, last years I saw them around August 6.

I saw 5 plants with small strips (1 to 2 inches long) of dead tissue in between veins on leaves, on 1 or 2 leaves per plant. I have around 325 hostas, seedlings not counted. Last year I had 4 hostas with nematodes. On two plants which had it last year I have not seen anything yet. This year there is a new cluster of 3 hostas with nematodes, must have infected leaves or flowers carelessly.

There was information the last years on this forum that Chris from Hallsons recommended Merit against foliar nematodes. Last year I sprayed that liquid Bayer insecticide containing Merit on three hostas which showed the presence of foliar nematodes and stopped that attack.

This year I started early in April and again end of June placing that Bayer granular fertilizer with insecticide under all hostas. I also sprayed twice the liquid insecticide version on the leaves.

I am using :

Bayer Tree & Shrub Protect & Feed, granular, systemic, contains Imidacloprid = Merit,

Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer, liquid, systemic, contains Imidacloprid = Merit.

These insecticides show on the label that they kill leaf miners.

So after writing the above paragraphs a few days ago in a thread here, today I decided to treat all hostas with the liquid Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer, and that's how I discovered that they are already showing. I drenched hostas with 8 gallons of the spray mix.

My plan is now to spray the hostas which showed nematodes last year and now every week ore more often. Let's see, I battled HVX, put pellets in rodent holes, put Bug Geta Plus out for slugs, watered frequently and put shade blinds up, all in a few days, no need to go to a Gym here.

Bernd

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living