SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corunum

Do You Garden in Winter?

corunum z6 CT
11 years ago

Hi, I'm aware of the many forums on GW that address various methods of soothing the need to garden in the winter. Everything from (thank goodness for Winter Sowing, to hydroponics, et al). My question to my fellow New Englanders specifically is, beyond wanting to sow seeds for spring planting, and pouring over catalogs and dreaming images of what might be this spring, do you ever feel empty, nearly deprived, if you don't have greenery and blooms near you indoors in winter? Judging from the Sunday afternoon solo people who just walk almost zombie like around local greenhouses, I'd say I'm not alone in feeling that innate, almost primitive call to make something grow in my space during the darker days.

I have pots of bulbs, tulips and hyacinths, the usual amaryllis (even one from 2 years ago is blooming) and mesclun under lights and the usual herbs. My Provence lavender tree is carried twice daily from room to room following the sun and still, after more than 50 years of gardening, I find that the 'call' to garden is still stronger for me in winter than it is in summer. Retirement affords more opportunties to garden in winter and this morning, I was gifted with freesia blooms falling into a geranium. Judging from the fervor on the Winter Sowing Forum, I think I'm not alone in feeling this need to grow. Am I? If not, what do you grow in winter besides house plants?

Kindly,
Jane

Comments (43)