SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

How do YOU mulch?

18 years ago

Hi all,

I am wondering about the different ways people mulch for winter protection. In past years I have purchased red cedar mulch and put a 3-4" layer over all my perennials (we won't worry for the moment about any "special needs" plants). I've always done this about end of October, beginning of November. However, I now live with a much larger garden area, and it simply isn't practical to buy all that mulch. Soooo, I've been told by several people that leaves work well, and we have more leaves than I could ever possibly need, so that seemed like a good solution. I have covered everything with about 4-5" of leaves. Most of the leaves have been run over with the lawn mower so they are somewhat shredded. But I have a couple of questions.

First, I have read that we should not put the mulch down until the ground freezes. Is that really necessary? I don't particularly want to wait until its icy cold outside and perhaps already have snow on the ground. So I went ahead and put the leaves down. We are getting to about 30 or high 20s at night and the last few days only up to 35-40 during the day. Many of the plants have not yet died back, so I tried to pull their leaves up above the mulch. So, how many of you wait until the ground is frozen?

Second, those who use leaves - how do you keep them from blowing away? We've had a couple of big winds since I put thtem down, and some places, particularly on the north side of the house, are losing their leaves. Once the snow comes of course it'll be fine, but until then?

Thanks for the help,

Ann from ND

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Unparalleled Design & Dedicated to Quality in Franklin County, Ohio