NEPA native plant society/sale?

dapjwy

I've tried searching several sources both online and not. So far, No luck. The closest native plant society that I've found is Susquehanna Valley Wild Ones PA chapter, York, PA. I'm close to the NY border so that is kind of far for me.

Does anyone know of a native plant society near Scranton, PA?

Also, I'd like to find some native plant sales; I'm willing to drive a ways for those. Again, near Scranton would be great, but I'd be willing to go over the border to NJ or NY.

Thank you,

David

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amelanchier(NY)

I've done some searching for native plant nurseries in western PA & NY and in the process came across a number in the eastern part of the state. Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve sells a lot of different seeds, but I don't know whether they have plants. The PA Wildflower Society has a bunch of links to sources.

Also, the Catskill Native Nursery shouldn't be too far away from you, and they have a huge selection of plants.
catskillnativenursery.com

Here is a link that might be useful: PA Native Plant Society: Links

Save    
Carrie B(6B/7A)

Bowman's Hill has a spring plant sale (check their website), but they're in Bucks County, about 45 minutes north of Philadelphia. There are a lot of native plant sales and general plants sales w/ a decent number of natives in the Philly area, let me know if you're willing to travel this far, and I'll post or email you about them.

Save    
dapjwy

amelanchier, I'll check out the links.

Carrieb, I'm willing to go to Bowman's Hill. Actually, it is closer now than when I was living on the opposite side of the state.

I guess I was hoping for something closer. I did, however, meet a local woman who is also interested in natives.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the group near York.

Thank you,

David

Save    
loris(Z6 NJ)

David,

I don't know if any of these are closer to you, but I'm posting this in case they are. These are habitat plant sales, so some non-natives are sold. I've been happy with what I bought from the one near me. Not sure how similar the other sales would be.

- Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: NJ Audubon plant sales

Save    
dapjwy

Lori,

Thanks for the info. I did some research to see how close these places are to me. It is nice to have options.

amelanchier, last weekend I was traveling to central PA, I checked out your link, there are several places I'd like to visit, but the only one that was on the way is no longer open. :( Oh well, I am a lot closer now to Bowman's Hill than I used to be.

I went to a place I used to frequent and bought 15 bare root trees. I'd better finish planting them before I buy anything else.

David

Save    
sshawley

I remember hearing that there was a native plant grower in Honesdale, Pa once I was at Bowmans. I didn't catch her name though. I'm going to Bowman's Hill in a few days and I'll see if someone took her name down.

Save    
sshawley

I could not find the name of the lady that sells natives in Honesdale. However, there is Pt Phillip Perennials (http://www.ppperennials.com/) that sells some natives and there is also Woods Edge Nurseries (http://www.edgeofthewoodsnursery.com/). I have never been to either one and do not know exactly what they carry.

Save    
dapjwy

sshawley,

Thank you. I will check that out. New to the area but, I've heard of Honesdale. I know it is fairly close.

I do plan to go to Edge of the Woods next time I'm heading south..and I can't wait to get back to Bowman's Hill. I'd visited there a few years ago when I was still living in Western PA.

Thank you for the suggestions.

David

Save    
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

There's a Native Plant Sale being held by the Genesee Land Trust in Rochester, NY on May 17, 2008 8:30am - 2:00pm. Details on the page linked to below.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Genesee Land Trust - Events

Save    
wyvern8760_yahoo_com

There's a place near Hershey called Meadowwood nursery an Endless mountain nature center has a plant sell in the spring.

Save    
ghoghunter

Our Shade Tree commission is going to plant a Native Garden this year so we went plant shopping yesterday. We found this really nice Native Plant nursery near Lake Nockamixon in Upper Bucks County. It was very nice with a good selection and good prices too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Northeast Native Plants

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides How to Find the Right Native Plants for Your Yard
Find plant maps, sale sites and guides that make going native in the garden easier than ever
Full Story
Ground Covers Native Alternatives to English Ivy, Japanese Pachysandra and Periwinkle
These shade-loving ground covers are good for the environment and say something about where you are
Full Story
Inspiring Gardens Native Plants Bring 10 Southern California Front-Yard Gardens to Life
Rare plants, rain gardens and wildlife habitats are just a few of the features showcased on the 2016 Theodore Payne Native Plant Garden Tour
Full Story