SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bostedo

Paxistima myrsinites in zone 8a?

Does anyone know if paxistima myrsinites (mountain lover, myrtle boxwood, Oregon boxwood) can adapt to 8a lowland heat in shaded spaces?

Here is a link that might be useful: Paxistima myrsinites (NPIN)

Comments (2)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Didn't you answer your own question in that link? Texas is part of its native range so why wouldn't it adapt as long as soil moisture was maintained and sufficient shade provided.?

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No - link actually leaves Texas outside it's NATIVE range, which it lists as the mountain states/provinces west to California/B.C. Texas shows up in the current DISTRIBUTION record due to a weird outlier in the PLANTS data showing it present (vs native) only in a south central county (Bexar - where San Antonio is located). No response when I asked about it on the TX forum, so am guessing the reported occurrence is likely some special case or error. If actually native to (or naturalized in) Texas, seems much more likely to be found in higher elevation regions along the western edges of the state. Though would still be pleased to learn of a variant that can endure the central Texas heat and alkalinity.

The silence here and elsewhere sort of confirmed my suspicion that not much is known of or being done with p. myrsinites in the zone 8 flat-lands. I may still give it a try next year if any of the few mail order sources pan out.

This post was edited by bostedo on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 18:31

Sponsored