SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berndnyz5

Woodchucks and Hostas?

in ny zone5
14 years ago

Dear Hosta forum members,

do you have experience with woodchucks (= groundhogs) eating hostas?

Searching the forum under that topic, past contributions do not hint at woodchucks actually eating hostas. They seem to eat everything else.

Yesterday I saw a fat woodchuck galloping through my backyard. I first thought it was an illusion. We then checked all spaces in my yard carefully, so he must have escaped fast as he rushed in. In the last weeks I redid my hosta beds, bought 20 new (to me) hosta cultivars and just finished planting them. It would be a real shame when this @#$%& remembers to come back and mows everything down.

I thought my actions including 'shovel pruning', my neighbor's air rifle and the new houses in the back got rid of woodchucks in my yard for good for more than 5 years. But 2 weeks ago the half of my fence towards the road got replaced with aluminum pickets which have relatively wide spacing. As a minimum I should apply galvanized wire mesh behind the aluminum fence as a deterrent, 10 inches below ground. Luckily there is no place to hide for him on my 1/2 acre property. Years ago I covered all openings under my deck with chicken wire. Recently I also cleared out any weeds and thickets.

I do not see any damage to any plantings, including my grandson's vegetable garden, and certain perennials favored by woodchucks.

What an experience! Perhaps it was an illusion?

Thanks for comments!

Bernd

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths