SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boyle014

easy to establish trees/shrubs in zone 5

boyle014
15 years ago

My father has a farm in southern Iowa. They just widened a road and removed all the trees that were creating a windbreak to a part of his property.

Any ideas for trees or shrubs that can easily be established from seed with minimal attention? He's getting older and won't be able to water them regularly and I live in Minnesota and only come down occasionally. So whatever I plant will be neglected.

I can start the seeds inside at my house and transplant them down there if people think that would increase chances of survival. Where do I get tree/shrub seeds this time of year? Is it too late to start seedlings for a spring planting?

I need to plant a large quantity and am trying to minimize cost. It's okay if they grow slowly. Immediate impact is less important than long-term quality. I also realize that without regular watering whatever I plant will probably have a low survival rate. I'm hoping enough survive to get a grove established over a few year period, planting (and neglecting) each spring.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES