SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunflower1948

New to Market Gardening

sunflower1948
19 years ago

My husband and I will be growing produce/flowers for Market Gardening next year for the first time. We've plowed a 100x100' section for the Market Garden this fall and will be dividing it into 2x25' beds in the spring. Our current veggie beds are all raised beds and we will continue using them for the root crops.

We are planning to start with the basics ... lettuces, radishes, onions, peas, carrots, spinach, beans, squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, new potatoes, etc. We have several raised flower beds and will also provide fresh flowers as they are available. We don't use any chemicals, only organic fertilizers. We will be using straw as mulch on the walkways to keep down weeds, and rely heavily on compost to amend the beds. We plan to replant on a weekly/biweekly basis to keep a steady supply of produce throughout the growing season. We have 12 perennial flower raised beds currently and will be planting lots of sunflowers and other annuals to add to boquets.

I've talked with other vendors at the market and there are very few who provide fresh produce, so I'm excited about the potential.

We would be interested in any feedback from others who grow for market ... what were your best sellers, are there things you've grown you would forget about another year, pricing, displaying, etc.

Comments (4)

Sponsored