SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Promoting winter market

For those who have winter markets, how do you promote them? We use the same things as we use during the regular season, but we aren't seeing the turn out that we all expect we should be seeing.

We have newspaper ads in two papers ( the city and university ones), facebook group reminders and we have handed out 1,000's of 4 by 6 cards with the dates on them at the market. We started handing out those cards in early September. Radio ads are cost prohibitive, so are television. On the day of the market, we do have 3 big Sandwich board signs at the three main roads that go near the building we are in.

One thought is we are inside and not visible from the road. The building is nice, there is plenty of parking, heat and bathrooms.

I sold about 45% of what I brought and I took the rest home. Lots of it was able to go back into the cooler(root crops, carrots, etc) and will be fine for the next market, but the greens are not going to last. I guess I over picked, but in my mind, I was conservative. I thought that with Thanksgiving this week, we would have better sales. I guess we were wrong. I do have orders for my online market to fill, so I won't have to pick more for that, but I am still disappointed in my sales. It was very cold in the high tunnels picking this stuff in the past week. Maybe next market will be better.

{{gwi:118224}}

Any ideas? Our market is going to be open every two weeks until Valentines Day.

Jay

This post was edited by jrslick on Mon, Nov 24, 14 at 9:23

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio