SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

how long does a hosta honeymoon last?

User
11 years ago

With Paula marking her 100th hosta in her garden, I began to wonder how long the excitement lasts? The "Hosta Honeymoon" if you will?

Perhaps I am asking the wrong bunch of people, because regardless of how LONG you've grown hosta, you are still in the mood to talk about them, take pictures, hybridize, or generally get more involved. Is THAT what happens? Old hosta lovers never die, they just hybridize?

In my case, I do not think my passion for hosta is diminishing at all, after at least 1.5 years. Short timer here. I even let slip to my DH today that I'd chatted with a lady from New Hampshire who sounded like our DIL on the phone, and he asked what were you calling New Hampshire for? I even told him, "she works at a nursery," and he said, "OH, I see, enough said." And he laughed. So I'm out of the closet with him.

Perhaps this winter we'll have a "Go Fish" card game printed up with hosta on the cards, or we can create a collector's set like they have for baseball cards. We do the screensaver thingy all the time with our pictures, so why not collector's cards? Something to do for the winter. I'd try to get a full set of plantaginea family cards, including the hybrids.

I would also add that with the recent orders put out, I am at the 200 mark by the time they arrive. I did not know when I passed 100, but I'm rounding the next hundred and can keep better track of things.....so my #200 when it arrives should be H. 'Sparkler' or 'LS Paisley Print.' I think Sparkler is suitable celebration plant, like fireworks. I was going to end up with 201 unique hosta, but one hosta was out of stock. So....Sparkler is my big 200.

Is the Hosta Honeymoon still happening at your house? Or has your hosta gardening become so routine the romance has disappeared and you're looking wistfully at orchids?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Comments (23)