SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

My new bed (Hugelkultur & Lasagna Gardening)

CEFreeman
9 years ago

So last week I put this thing together.
I used materials I already had, just stacked around. I even had the exterior, star-head screws. I admit I spent some money on hay for one of the Lasagna layers. A whopping $6.00. If I'd known how easy this is, I'd have done it long ago. Now I'm looking around for places to build more beds!

Here we come:
Raised bed with bottom wood layer:

A dirt and hay layer:

And finally, ready to plant:

I made this bed with several different methods, given I'm destitute and couldn't afford to buy dirt. BUY DIRT?!? Well, the only thing they don't make more of is land, but I can make dirt.

Hugelkultur.. (Thanks Herbal!) A sustainable farming method. I got all the trees and wood from driving down my country-ish road and from my neighbor, who wasn't going to burn 2-3 year old wood. That aged wood + coffee grounds prevents the huge nitrogen drain newly cut wood would create. Plus, I'm letting it sit over the winter.

Lasagna gardening. We're all familiar with that here! My layers were:
Wood (logs, oak cabinet doors, & unfinished, 1" oak flooring)
Wood chips.
Leaves (Freecycle!)
Coffee grounds
Dirt
Cardboard
Coffee grounds & filters
Some green-ish yard waste
Hay
Dirt
Coffee grounds & filters
Wood chips. Mostly over a year old.

So... when it's all said and done, the first things to go into this 24' x 4' bed are: Sun-tolerant Japanese maples 'Tamukeyama' probably 'Japanese Sunrise' (which is far more golden yellow than this picture) and a 'Red Pygmy'.

Then, I'm going to try my hand at winter sowing again to flesh out this garden with RED flowers.

I hope you like this and it gives you incentive to try it yourself.

This post was edited by CEFreeman on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 10:07

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus