SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cdejong_gw

Rouge Cardinal Bloom Habits and Season?

cdejong
15 years ago

I have a milk chocolate colored house and several clematis. On the NW corner I have a Sunset (fucshia) and on the garage side (strict south) I have pink/mauve Piilu that I'm trying to match up with something. From the street you can't see the opposite corners of the house so the colors are separated. I was going to get an Ernest Markham to go with Piilu because I heard it was a longer bloom time (crucial in MN). However, I LOVE the Rouge Cardinal. I thought it was going to be too dark against the house, but I think that the petals may lighten up nicely enough to see it.

My questions:

Does Rouge Cardinal tend to only bloom on the top of the plant? All the google images I see tend to show that. The I thought the Ernest Markham only really blooms on the top and I don't want that.

Does the Rouge Cardinal bloom mid-late summer only? I've seen different websites and tags say different things. I thought Ernest Markham bloomed starting in June. If both start in July (in zone 4), then I'd much rather have a Rouge Cardinal.

Anyone have experience with bloom habits and bloom season with this plant vs. the Ernest Markham? Rouge Cardinal would be so striking with Piilu, but not if it only blooms on the top and starting from july. But if Ernest is no better, then I might as well go for Rouge.

Please advise... :)

Comment (1)

Sponsored