SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jancat_gw

Coneflowers - Mutated??

jancat
18 years ago

I live in suburban Philadelphia. I've had purple coneflowers in my yard for the past couple summers. This summer, they came back as usual; however, one of them appeared to produce flowers that were entirely green - the cone and the petals. Also, the petals seemed to be somewhat shorter or stunted. Eventually, the petals disappeared, and from the cone itself sprouted very thin stalks ranging from 1 to 3 inches, and at the top of these stalks were bristly small green "buds" - for want of a better word (about half an inch in diameter), and from some of THOSE are sprouting more of these alien looking sprouts. The overall effect is that of a completely green cone, sans petals, "infested" with nine of these small stalks growing out if its cone

I've searched on the Internet looking for some species or variety that matches this, without success. A friend who lives about a mile away has the same phenomenon, also with her coneflowers.

Is this some strange species of coneflower, a disease, or something else? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!