SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimnoak

Saving a Japanese Maple After an Ice Storm

jimnoak
17 years ago

I need some advice from anyone who might have some experience with this. I live in southern Illinois, (zone 5b or 6) and my entire county is now a disaster area after our recent ice storm.

We have, (or had) a beautiful Japanese Maple (red variety) in our front entry area that was a graceful and beautiful 9 feet tall. Today the ice has bent it over into a "U" shape and the top of the tree is close to the ground. It appears that the trunk has not broken or cracked, so I'm wondering if I can stake that tree when it warms up, and perhaps slowly over weeks bend it back into it's upright shape?

I suppose I could top the tree at around 3 feet tall, but I'm afraid it would start growing like a bush, and never again look as nice. I forget the exact genus of this tree but when the ice thaws I can get the tag from under the ice. This little maple has been viable through maybe 8 winters for me, so I know it's hardy enough to withstand the cold temps.

My wife and I are just sick about this beautiful little tree, even though the ice storm did tons of bigger damage, and left us without electricity or heat for 3 days and nights.

Suggestions anyone? I'd sure appreciate any wisdom you may have...

A "newby".... Jim

Comments (6)

Sponsored