SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobb_grow

root pruning an acer palmatum dissectum?

bobb_grow
13 years ago

Our neighbour wants give her front yard a total makeover next March or April. She is giving us a beautiful 40 year old red acer palmatum dissectum that is in the way of her new plans. I protested when she told me she was getting rid of it so now she said that she would like us to to take it next spring. It is about 6 feet tall and the trunk is just over 6 inches in diamter.

My question is whether it would be helpful if I gave it a good root pruning in the next few days. My understanding is that in the mild west coast climate of the Fraser Valley, quite a number of new roots would form over the next 6 months. In fact, we have had quite a bit of warm (thought wet) weather this Fall and the soil is still quite warm. I thought that by removing soil from around a planned large root ball, I could prune the roots at least 2 feet down. I then would back fill with composted bark mulch and hope that new feeder roots would have developed by March or April and thus, help the tree get a good start in our front yard. I would plan to gather a group of friends to help me move it across the street.

Does this seem a wise course of action? Or, does anyone have any advice for me about how best to move this beautiful specimen?

Thankyou!

Bob

Comments (12)

Sponsored