SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sabe_gw

ants and lil' bugs on the scape

sabe
16 years ago

Hi all

I was walking through my plantings last week, when I noticed that one of my hostas (just a plain ol' unnamed big green one) has hundreds of little bugs. They are all the size of a poppy seed, and seem very slow moving.

Along with that, there are also about a dozen ants roaming through and around them. Both the bugs, and the ants, are all located on the top 20% of the scape (and top flowers), although there's always one or 2 ants that can be seen climbing up or down this scape. But the little buggies don't seem to be moving around at all, just sitting there.

They've been there for about a week now. They are not on any of the other scapes of the same plant, nor has any spread to the hostas planted right next to it. I first noticed them when the scape's buds were emerging, and now the buds are flowering and they don't seem to be minding that there is an infestation occuring right on top of them.

I have over 100 hostas planted and many are right nearby this one, but have never noticed or observed this before this season. They are there all day, all night, and don't seem to be highly active (other than the ants doing their nonstop roaming).

Is this ok? will it spread? can leave as-is, or just cut that scape off and chuck it? naturally I'm concerned that this might be harmful to the plant and if I should be reacting to this and literally, nipping this problem in the bud before it spreads elsewhere.

thanks in advance to any and all advice forthcoming

-sabe

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville