SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcphreak

Something is destroying my garden!

mcphreak
15 years ago

I'm hoping someone out there can help me figure out what the heck is destroying my garden. Here are the details.

I live in Baltimore City near Patterson Park. I built a 4'x12'x3' wood planter box in my back "yard" (if you can call it that). It sits on a bed of concrete, so nothing can get in from underneath. On top, I have bird netting covering the entire box.

Three days ago, I noticed that something had uprooted and destroyed two of my eggplant seedlings. At first I thought it was a rat, so I installed chicken wire around my yard and I believe it's done it's job in keeping the rats out. However, every night since then, something is still destroying my vegetable garden. Whatever it is seems to favor my tomato plants (now that the eggplant's gone) and to a lesser extent my bean plants. My lettuce, peas, and carrots appear untouched. What's strange is that it's going around simply breaking limbs off my plant, and in one case, broke the entire top half of one tomato plant off. It will then take a couple bites out of the leaves and then move on to breaking the next limb. Some of the broken limbs look like they've been physically pulled down as opposed to chewed off, but I'm not entire sure about that. I've secured the bird netting over my box such that I don't think something as large as a rat could get in without my noticing.

Whatever this creature is also digs shallow holes in my garden (about 3 inches deep and about 1.5-2 inches in diameter. My coworker suggested that perhaps I have a vole in my garden, but I can't see how that's possible considering that I live in the middle of the city. I don't even know if there are voles in Baltimore. I'm thinking that it might be a mouse but if it is, I don't see how it can take down my tomato plants (about 18" tall right now). Anyway, I've set some snap traps in my garden and baited them with peanut butter, but haven't had any success catching anything yet.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Comments (6)

Sponsored