SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flying_v_goddess

Selling seedlings locally (Wisconsin)

Flying_V_Goddess
10 years ago

I've had this idea to grow and sell seedlings from my home or at the local farmers market and finally decided to go with it. I want to know the regulations, licences, and business aspects I need before jumping into this. And its a bit confusing.

I just plan to sell locally. No selling across state lines.

My state's Department of Agriculture page didn't help me a whole lot. It says you don't need a nursery licence for vegetables, but didn't say vegetable *plants*. But it lists you need one to sell fruit trees, but not to sell fruit. I'm assuming I'm going to sell at least $250 worth of plants so I need to know if I need the license.

I tried looking up how much you'd have to sell before you'd have to pay taxes. I just got a lot of nonsense from scam-sounding-business websites that had nothing to do with selling plants or websites that wanted me to pay to get the info I may or may not need.

And I don't plan to "fly under the radar" to avoid getting the license or paying taxes if needed. If I'm going to do this, I'm going to try and get myself out there and go big.

So needless to say....I need a little help on this. If anyone has experience with selling seedlings locally (especially with selling in Wisconsin) I'd much appreciate any sort of advice.

Comments (8)

Sponsored