SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imtoobusy

What books would you suggest for a start up?

imtoobusy
19 years ago

Hello, my husband and I own a 132 acre farm that we currently rent out to a cow/calf operation. This year I have started a vegetable garden for the first time with the thought that I would eventually like to have a market garden operation. I have never grown any veggies before this year- just ornamental plants for my own enjoyment. We have 9 raised beds that are 4' x 16' each and are growing about 40 different varieties of produce. We are growing too much for just ourselves and our 2 young children to eat so I have started selling items to people at my husbands work. So far, so good, I am learning a lot about growing and different problems that one faces when growing vegetables.

Now for my questions.... I have a bunch of books (I am an addict, I think) but I would like some opinions on what other books would help me. So far I have "You can farm" by Joel Salatin, "Sell what you sow" by Eric Gibson, "The vegetable gardeners bible", "The encyclopedia of organic gardening" and some other books that focus more on livestock than on produce. I am looking for some books that focus on GROWING produce for market. We live in an area that has many marketing opportunities (and I have a husband who is a great marketer and is president of a small business) so I don't neccesarily need books about selling the product. I figure I should put the cart AFTER the horse and learn as much as I can about growing before worrying about how to get rid of it ;oD

I know that the best way to learn is by doing but I have a 3 year old and a 9 month old so, right now at least, I can find more time for reading than I can for getting my hands in the dirt.....

Comments (10)

Sponsored