SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danell_hiltz

Acer for full sun in zone 7

Danell Hiltz
13 years ago

I posted this as a response to a similar post for zone 9 but thought I'd try a separate one too given I'm in a different zone and that post was old.

I live in zone 7, in Sams Valley Oregon. My back yard is West facing with lots of sun, clay soil with Ph of 7 to 7.5. I lost a Bloodgood, it was in the ground only 1 year - who knows what happened; I'm willing to try again. I like the canopy on the green leaf Japanese Maples and the one I have in the front yard is doing okay after 1 year.

So, maybe a green leaf Jap. Maple in the back yard too. Yet I love the Coral bark even though it is more vase shaped, will it tolerate these conditions? Perhaps an Emperor? The forest service states Acer tataricum ginnala and Acer truncatum do well here in the valley - again these are vase shaped but that may be okay.

I would like the canopy to be high enough that it will not get in the way when playing ball with the dogs or mowing, moderate to fast growth rate, shade and ornamental value, little to moderate litter and at least 3 seasons of interest.

These (I plan to get two) will be planted in each corner of the yard with a triad of Juniperius V. Monbells (blue-green, tall & narrow) and two Dwarf Golden Mops in the center along with ornamental grasses and perennianls.

Any suggestions?

Comments (8)