SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
little_minnie

Expediting picking, washing, packing

little_minnie
11 years ago

Now that my garden is doing well and I am not behind (and very excited about it!) I am turning my attention to trying to expedite my packing. I think I improved my washing area as best I could.

The last couple seasons my washing area was outdoor wood pile box thing, waist high, in the sun but very near the water and barn. It had a mini bed spring and plastic mesh chicken wire. I moved that from off the wood box onto open old barrels in the shade. This sounds primative but that is all I have. Now it is in the shade, still waist high, a little larger and has a drying rack next to me. This is right where I can park my truck, unload coolers and exactly where the coolers are left in the shade for CSA pick up.

Leafy head lettuce. What do you do to head lettuce after you wash it? You don't spin it do you?

Picking. I keep a list in my pocket of everything I need to pick for market or for CSA. I have a cart (metal mesh kind) and plenty of buckets and baskets. I like to pick certain things right into water buckets, such as root veggies. I read a hook shaped knife works much better for cutting greens than scissors and it sure does! Lucikly my husband has a little pocket knife business so he had one as soon as I asked. LOL. This way I hold the biggest leaves and cut, without damaging the younger leaves or cutting so much grass and weeds. It has helped me.

So basically I am quite good growing things but obviously still working on the harvest and cleaning of them. I would like to hear other ideas. There are a lot of methods for marketing things too. I often use an open cooler for greens and water filled ice buckets, inside baskets so they look better, for greens and root veggies. The guy next to me puts all greens into produce bags but I don't know how he keeps them from wilting. I guess I haven't seen him with lettuce.

Comments (56)

Sponsored