SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
margi1533

Ukigumo in container in shade; no pink, very little white

margi1533
16 years ago

We got a Floating Cloud (Ukigumo) JM last summer and put it in a large pot right next to our back door, where it is doing very well and looks great - except that since its leaves came out this spring, there has never been any pink anywhere on the leaves, and there's only a little white variegation on the leaves, which are mostly bright green.) Do these trees need some sun to show the pink and white variegation (which it did have in the nursery when we bought it)?

It's on our patio, which has a 40 year old once-clear corrugated fiberglass roof overhead, and sides open to the north and the east, but since the container it's planted in is in the back of the patio (next to the house) the tree only gets filtered sun and no direct sun at all, even in the morning. (I tried some chinodoxa bulbs in the same pot and they just leaned out of the pot, desperately seeking more sun!)

Do I have to move the pot closer to the eastern edge of the patio (where the morning sun would reach it directly) in order to get the pink? It otherwise looks so perfect next to the back door with its leaves and branches against the brick behind it, but I'd really love to see the whole colorful show.

Comments (8)