SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

Japanese Maple Sources

cfmuehling
17 years ago

Someone asked me where I bought my JM collection. I thought I'd post my sources here, since I've been buying from them now for over 3 years and 150+ trees.

I do buy them on eBay. I tried picking things up locally, but can't afford $50.00+ per tree. Despite my collecting, I'm willing to wait, so the size isn't paramont. I buy grafted only, and they come anywhere from 12" to 30" tall. It depends. Plus, every once in awhile, I'll buy a 1 gallon size, ($39.00 - $49.00) if it's something I was really looking for.

Of course, there is no affiliation, but I'd be honored if you told them I referred you to them. I am comfortable with each of them. These vendors take care with their trees, are flexible as far as combining orders, will swap out a different tree if you happen to get carried away and buy two or three of the same thing, etc.

Pam Leder

Cedric of Japanese Maple & Confiers

Frank of Cal Maples

Elaine Hall I want to say of Hall Nurseries, and she only lists in the fall

John Herter

Jill of Oregon Grown Nursery.

All will combine shipping, which might seem high. However, I've never, ever had a tree arrive dry, unpotted, or damaged. I suck it up and pay it, because I know the gorgeous little trees are going to be perfect.

There are a couple I'm not fond of, and a couple I'm trying this year. I won't post a negative opinion, but you're welcome to email me if you want to check if I've have experience with someone. Know what I mean, beans?

I forgot to say that I pot them, then plant them in the gardens. I try to find an optimal spot, then I plant them. I need some that take more sun, so that can be an issue, since most need some afternoon shade. I have had some luck with some beautiful sun trees, though! :)

Good luck!

C.

Comments (41)

Sponsored