SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

When to give up on a Market and quit going?

Well I am about to give up on a market. I am the largest vendor (in variety) of vegetable sold at this market. There use to be a larger vendor but they quit the market and opened up a farm stand 3 miles north of the town along the busy highway. They have been requesting people to "consign" them produce to sell. In addition to their own. I am not going to do this as they require a liability insurance policy. I don't have one and don't plan on getting one. I also am not going to buy one for the possibility of selling a couple hundred dollars worth of produce through them.

I guess that the market manager and these people have some fight going on, that I wasn't aware of. I also have heard that a person put an ad in the paper that told everyone to not go to the Farmers Market due to these reasons and everyone should go to the Farm stand place. I guess it was a very large ad.

Has this happened to anyone else? Did you just quit going or did you say if it doesn't pick up in the next __ weeks, we just aren't going to come anymore?

My hometown market is growing and people are coming from far around to sell here. I guess all the work I have put into growing it, promoting it, and organizing is paying off.

We are trying to develop an online market through, www.locallygrown.net, but I need some time to get it going. I guess that needs to be my focus.

Sorry for the rant, but I am just annoyed that these people can't settle their own problems and not have to drag all the other vendors down with them.

Jay

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living