SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dwiggin3

Soil Conditioning/Manuer/Compost

dwiggin3
19 years ago

I just couldn't help myself with the weather being so nice this weekend that I decided to "condition" the soil in my little plating beds. (Small beds in front and out back of my apt. unit).

In addition to cleaning out all the old mulch and dead leaves, I got the rocks, garbage ect out. I did as much tilling of the soil as possible - trying to break up the clay but with no tiller, it was just me and my rake and more often than not, me on my hands and knees. I'm rather pleased with the progress. The soil is nice and smooth and soft. Smells good too!

I went to Home Depot and purchased 6 bags of Miracle Grow top soil and did my best to evenly incorporate it into the existing soil. I now have several inches of loose soil that "look" like it could grow somthing. However, when I went to look at getting compost or manure, it all smelled SO BAD!.

I know itÂs not supposed to smell great but man, was it foul. The idea of mixing it in and subjecting the neighbors to the smell was something I was leery of. Plus, there were several types.

So, what type to I get? Is there a "low odor" brand? How much do I need - not as much as I needed in soil?...I've heard countless people say their plants grow bigger and brighter because they took the time to incorporate compost and I'd like my little patch of heaven to look good too.

Suggestions?

Oh, one last thing. I was surprised to see plants at HD...granted they were pansies and I think they tolerate colder weather, but should I wait until mid April to begin planting?...(I'm not sure what I'll be planting...probably whatever looks nice but I like Gerber's, Black Eyed Susan's, the small white flower that is great as edging, ect).

Thanks

Darby

Comments (10)

Sponsored