SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
csherman_gw

Bloodgood Leaves browning on edges

csherman
15 years ago

About 5 years ago, I planted a Japanese Maple, I believe its a Bloodgood, by the window in front of my condo. Its located in a narrow patch between the building and the sidewalk on the north side of the building so it receives little sun. For the first 3 years the tree grew fine without problems. Then last year and now this year, most of the leaves are starting to turn brown. Its very odd, the new growth seems fine but eventually the leaf edges begin to dry and turn brown. The brown moves into the center of the leaf but does not entirely encompass the leaf and it remains attached to the tree.

My condo was built on landfill back in 1978 and the soil is very heavy with clay. This area also has a great deal of limestone but I don't think that's the problem. When I planted the tree, I dug up much of the clay soil and replaced it with topsoil mixed with Miracle Grow's Organic Soil

Last Spring, I added organic fertilizer to the soil close to the tree and I thought, possibly, I overfertilized and burned the leaves. But this year I didn't fertilize and the same thing is happening. I wondered if as the tree grows and the roots dig deeper, they are reaching the heavy clay which doesn't allow for much drainage? A neighbor has a similar tree on the southern side of the building and its doing fine but the soil over there may have less clay content.

I'll try to post a picture but I haven't ever done that before so it may be a problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments (4)

Sponsored