SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
intoorganics

Help! Expectations betwn grower and chef for special event dinner

intoorganics
11 years ago

I am a grower for a farm that produces for CSA and farmer market (about 100 CSA and one day FM per week) from mid-June to mid October. This past April we were asked by two chefs to host a dinner on our farm on June 3rd that they would organize and it would highlight the produce we supplied.

This is something we have not done before and I am terribly concerned we do not have the needed produce that the chefs are planning to use for the dinner. Not because we couldn't have grown them, however, because as of this date, we have not heard back from the chefs as to what the final menu will be and quantities needed. Two weeks ago we e-mailed a list of possible vegetable and herbs expecting to hear back on what would be on the menu, therefore, giving us time to plant baby leaf greens and other lettuce mixes to suppliment other produce. We didn't get the menu, just that there were at that time only 15 people signed up. We e-mailed again requesting a menu and amounts of herbs and produce and what we got back was that if there were not at least 50 people signed up they would cancel. (In April they told us to expect 150 people).

Where did we go wrong? My own expectation was that I would hear back from the chefs in mid April with what they wanted as far as vegetables. That would have given me plenty of time to plan for this dinner along with our CSA and farmer market needs.

When would it have been reasonable to get quantities needed? There is a huge difference between 15 signed-up and up to 150! I would expect they are not planning on going out in the field to do the harvest and prep, so, this also would take some planning.

We've had special events on the farm in previous years and supplied the vegetables for the lunch, but these events had registered attendance which made it easy to add into our farm growing schedule.

I would appreciate any advice on what we could do to improve communication between chefs, dinner organizers and growers. Would a written form be a good addition? What should it include?

GS

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert