SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julie_mn

HAVE: Winter Blues Seed Swap

Julie
17 years ago

It is that time of year again! To gather together and share the wealth our gardens have provided us!

Come join us at the Winter Blues Seed Swap-

Sunday January 21st

1:00- 3:30 PM

At Dottie's house in Ham Lake MN

Please bring your cleaned individually packaged and labeled seeds to share- other garden related stuff is welcome as well-as well as a potluck contribution if you like.

If you plan on attending please post below and you will receive an email with all the details about 10 days before the swap.

For those of you who can not make it to the swap and still want to participate- look to the Winter Blues Seed Swap Out of Towners post for a mail in option.

Julie

Comments (46)

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

Julie, you are fantastic. You said this would be here in November and here it is. Count me in as #1.

Pauline

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I wanted to be sure that folks could save the day- well before the holiday "rush"!!

• Related Discussions

WANTED: ~*~Welcome to WinterSwap 2011~*~ Sorting Seeds & Sending

Q

Comments (58)
    Merry Christmas!! I am so humbled and thankful for the appreciation and compliments. I was SO worried..lol. I tried really hard to find at least SOME things on wish lists and share other things that I had just a bit of. I'm just plain thrilled that everyone seems so happy thus far. Thanks to all of you for making this a fun and wonderful Christmas that I hope we can start a yearly tradition of doing. OH~ and by the way, our dear Texaspinkie's seed package finally arrived after looking thru many many states...lol. I'll be talking to her after Christmas about how to proceed with getting these seeds out to you all. If you receive a card in the mail.. that'd be why :) Merry Christmas to you all, may you find peace and joy in your gardens and in your lives in the coming year. ~Wendy
    ...See More

Winter sow seed swap seeds ?

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Cooper, You don't have to winter sow anything. But we winter sowers become addicted because the method works beautifully! Winter sowing is great because your seeds don't wash away, blow away, get eaten by bugs and other critters, the seeds are easily identified and kept track of for the most part. Direct sowing still has its moments though. Personally, I think larkspur actually does better direct sown. I also direct sow bachelor buttons,and nigella (love in a mist). My seeds from these plants have already germinated and are thriving despite the snow and dips into the teens that we have had. If any of these seeds are on your list, I'd go ahead and get them out there. They will germinate in their own good time and will survive any weather. From my understanding the seeds I just mentioned like to be sown in the fall anyway. So feel free to get them out as soon as you see bare ground. Natvtxn has a great idea of looking up the seeds on the internet. Also a great idea to throw some out and maybe holding some back for winter sowing or regular under lights sowing or maybe try all 3 methods...whatever you want. Gardening is always a learning experience.
    ...See More

HAVE: Winter Blues Seed Swap

Q

Comments (39)
    *POUT* I'm so glad you all had a great time! Wish so much to have been there... The dedication we had to attend that morning ran long, then the weather was horrible so no kite flying either. Wound up going to the gathering after the dedication, which was nice - but I was secretly dreaming of seeds all afternoon. -Marie
    ...See More

NEW: Fourth Annual Winter Blues Seed Swap

Q

Comments (50)
    Thank you Sarah and everyone else who contributed to this swap, received my seeds and was very pleased with the selection. Cant wait till see every thing grow, Happy Gardening everyone!! Shirley
    ...See More
  • selkie_b
    17 years ago

Thank you Julie! Did you get my email?

We should be at the Seed Swap this year *crosses fingers*

-Marie

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

I wrote it on my calendar, I can see no reason why I wouldn't be able to attend!

I will bring seeds and wine! hehe

Linda

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey there girls!
    Good to hear from you!
    Marie- yes I did get your note- Just had not found the time at work to reply-
    Linda- no whining about the seeds though- right? I will try to bring a DEEP red- you too?

• leftwood
    17 years ago

Well, it's my opinion that the seeds deserve a drink too!

Julie, quit hogging all the wine already!

BTW, I should be there too.

• sandysgardens
    17 years ago

Have it on the calendar. Sure hope I get there in time before the wine is gone!! Will bring seeds, trinkets, and food!!

Thanks everyone - you all make this yearly event a GREAT time! Looking forward to seeing everyone. Let me know what I can do to help.

Sandy

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey there Rick and Sandy!
    It will be good to see you both again!
    So- uh- Rick-
    I have to ask,,, Whacha gonna give the seeds to drink?
    Hot Cocoa? Or a little Manure Tea???
    Or were you thinkin' we should toast the seeds? Popcorn?!?

Julie

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

Julie, Were you thinking popped poppies?

• mantorvillain
    17 years ago

Gonna try to make it with the only thing possibly getting in the way being an incredibly good last minute rate on a cruise or week in Mexico...unlikely.
    Knowing we'll likely get more info along the way, how do you generally 'package' the seed?...very small envelopes (where to getem?)vs 'homemade' envelopes like folded newspaper, etc? Also how many seed per pack. Things I'll probably be bringing: Sunset giant marigolds 3 shades (got every bit of 4'tall this summer), a numberof french marigolds, Redbeckia James Kellway (courtesy of Julie @ spring swap) and plain old black eyed susan (likely several generations down from Goldsturm, Joe Pye weed, pink aesclepius, couple of rudbeckias, Tiger Tom tomatoes from spring swap (good eating indeterminate med size)...hmmm I know there's more but am blanking and to lazy to get up and go check bags right now.
    Will

• lazyweeder
    17 years ago

I marked the calendar. See ya all there!

Dave

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey there Will and Dave!

So glad you can make it! It will be good to see both of you again!

Will, most folks use little plastic baggies found at wallmart or craft stores- coin envelopes from the office store- or yes- peices of folded paper. There are even templates on the web to print out seed packets- just give it a google. What ever you can find to do the job will work.

For usual seeds at least 24 would be a goodly amount - more is often seen as well. For very large or rare seeds- less than 24 is fine. For really tiny seed- well I think a pinch is good! It is pretty much left up to the packager how they want to package their seeds.

It is best to write the name of the plant on the package of seeds- as specific as you can make it- and any other info like height- zone- requirements are all icing on the cake!

I hope that helps-

Julie

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

Will,

Hi there. I make origami envelopes using wax paper. I have also purchased small zip lock bags at Bobby Bead in Minneapolis. You get 100 2" x 3" bags for $1.25.

Pauline

Here is a link that might be useful: origami envelope

• joyfulsnowflake
    17 years ago

I make origami boxes to collect and dry the seeds.

Here is instruction on making the origami box:

http://www.wackykids.org/origami_box.htm

For the seed bag, I made a template using microsoft word, with a picture printed on the front and information in the back. I then cut the template out and glue it into a seed bag. Here is what it looks like:

I'd love to attend the seed exchange in person and meet all you wonderful fellow gardeners, but I'd be very pregnant by then and may not be able to make it. I will sign-up for the out-of-towner exchange. I only have a few varieties of seeds, and they are very common flowers. I hope it is still OK.

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

Julie, I will only *whine* when my seeds don't germinate! LOL

I think I'll bring a red and a white.

Linda

• mnwsgal
    17 years ago

joyfulsnowflake, I love your seed bags. Do you have a link to the template to make the bag? I may not be able to find the time to make them but maybe...
    Bobbie mnwsgal

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

I really admire the seed bags and know that at least at this time I won't get around to it.

• mnwsgal
    17 years ago

Nice to meet and visit with you today, Julie. Please sign me up for the swap.
    Thanks. Bobbie

• joyfulsnowflake
    17 years ago

Hi, Bobbie:

The following link has the seed bag design. Instead of drawing by hand, I did it with microsoft Word and used plant photos. I cannot draw well. :)

http://hem.passagen.se/hedgehogs/garden/bags.html

After drawing the bag, just cut along the outside edge and glue it into a bag.

Ying

• mnwsgal
    17 years ago

Thanks, Ying for the link. I also prefer to use photos as am not great at illustrating either. I realize there are many choices on the net for making seed envelopes. Using my own photos to make envelopes for plants that I grow appeals to me. Maybe I'll have some time during January to experiment.
    Bobbie

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey there Bobbie!
    I am glad you decided to join in the fun!
    I will send you and all a note with details about 10 days before the swap-
    Julie

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

Julie,

I don't know if you remember Pat Hunter from the spring exchange last year at Rick's. She would like to join in on the seed exchange. Here is her e-mail.

Pauline

[e-mail:pat.hunter@mpls.frb.org]

• terrypropogater
    17 years ago

Hi julie please sign me up for the seed swap.
    Terry

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey there Zen and Terry!
    Rest assured, I will send out the info to both Pat and Terry as the days draw nigh!
    I have been packing seeds till my fingers hurt (from folding the recycled paper that is) when I can find the time!!
    It will be so good to see all of you again! And to meet some new folks too!!
    It is getting closer.....
    This year draws to a close, and another starts with gardening dreams anew!

• cleocrafta
    17 years ago

I'm so excited to attend the swap.Please sign me up. I've been cleaning & packaging seeds to share. I look forward to putting faces with the names I read. Just wondering, about how many packages of each kind of seed should be made? Also, how do I get directions to the swap location?.Thank you, Cleo

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey there Cleo!
    So glad you will be joining us!
    I usually bring what I have to share- sometimes it is too much- and some times not enough- it is difficult to determine just what others will be interested in-
    I will be sending out an e-mail about 10 days before the swap giving Dotties home address and phone number for those that may become lost along the way.
    Look for mail soon!
    Julie

• selkie_b
    17 years ago

There I go reading too closely again...

"...clean *individually wrapped* seeds..."

Wow - then I'll have plenty to share! And here I was worried.... ;)

-Marie

• selkie_b
    17 years ago

Oh I see it's Better Than That...

"...clean *individually packaged and labeled*..."

I'm going to have to finds some very small tags.

It's been a slow day, can you tell?
    *giggle*
    -Marie

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Arrrghhhh-
    You know what I mean you silly girl! Cleaned- meaning not too much chaff- in individual packets of usually 24 for regular seed- more for tiny seeds- sometimes less for larger or more rare seeds..... (or what ever your preferences are...)
    Ugg- 1 packet per 1 seed!!??!!??!!- That is just way too much!! Even for me!!! I don't think I could fold the paper small enough- and I know I couldn't write that small!
    U R funny!

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

I wonder how big the square of paper would be to fold an origami envelope to the size of one seed. Sorry my fingers would never be able to fold anything so small. I will put more seeds in. I need to keep folding, the exchange is coming up soon.
    I had better update the exchange list as well.

• jel48
    17 years ago

How did miss getting my name in here?? I'm glad I decided to search for my own ID, just to be sure, 'cause I didn't find it! Please add me to the list, Julie. I'm looking forward to seeing all of you!

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

I just updated my trades list if you want to take a look.

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah Joyce!
    I was hoping you would be coming!
    So- I have to ask- will you be bringing the salad- fresh from your new christmas gift??? Well- one can wish things would grow that fast!
    I will send you a draft of all the details in just a few days!

Julie

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

Well, I plan to be there, but, alas, I will not be able to participate (eat) in the lunch. I will still bring wine for all of you, tho.

Will be watching my e-mail for directions.

Linda

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi there!
    I have sent out the info to all who have posted here through GW- if you did not receive an e-mail from me (WBSS!) please send me an e-mail through my page (I will get your e-mail addy that way) and I will send again.

Say- I was wondering if any of you have OLD seed catalogs (with pictures) that I could keep (I think our hostess might be interested in these as well)....

I wanted to add that many folks may bring resource books to look at that are not part of the swap- please be careful not to get these confused.

I have 3 envelopes here with another 2 expected that are part of our mail in version of the Winter Blues Seed Swap. I have 2 volunteers who have stepped up to adopt these out of town players- They will get to open the envelopes, have first dibs, and then stuff the envelope with the out of towners enclosed wishes (and more!)- and send them on back home full of new treasures. If you are interested in an envelope- please ask- I should have a few available!

I have seeds all ready- now, what should I bring to eat.... Hmmmmm.... What are you hungry for?>?>?

• jel48
    17 years ago

Julie, I am glad to bring salad.... but we're going to have to pass on 'from the new Christmas gift'. It has tomatoes in it at the moment. They all came up on the third and fourth day and today (sixth day) are about an inch tall. It'll be a few days before we're eating from it :-)

Also, I'd be glad to do an envelope - just put me on the list or hand me an envelope when I walk in the door.

• jel48
    17 years ago

I hate to do this, but the prediction is for snow showers pretty much all day tomorrow, and it's just too long of a drive for me to want to make in snow, so I'm going to pass on winter blues this year :-(

And, Julie, you might find this hard to believe, but the tomatoes in that Christmas planter are almost ready to slice up for the salad too.

Well.... kinda, sorta, anyway.....

• jel48
    17 years ago

It snowed on into the afternoon and we ended up with about 4 inches so I guess I made the right decision. Sure missed spending the day with all of you at the swap though! I'll bet you had a great time!

• sandysgardens
    17 years ago

Joyce - Missed seeing you, but understand about not wanting to drive so far in the snow. A few others couldn't make it either and missed seeing them too. However was great to see old friends and meet a few new ones. Had great time, got way more seeds than I should have, and had great conversation!

I filled an envelope for one of our long distance players, so will be checking it once more on Monday and adding a few things that I have here at home that is on her want list and will be getting it off in the mail early this week!! Was fun seed shopping for someone else!!

Thanks to Dotty for hosting and Julie for arranging!!

Sandy

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

Oh was I unhappy when I got a call to come to work (volunteer job) early. The woman that I covered for was very sick.

Pauline

• leftwood
    17 years ago

I'm another one who chickened out because of the snow here and 60 mile drive. My apologies to all. So instead, the soft ginger snaps I would have brought were gobbled up by fellow employees today at HD where I work. (They'll eat anything.)

• jel48
    17 years ago

Hey Rick, are you hinting that the GW group (yes, us) will also eat anything? Since the same batch of cookies was intended for us :-)

• leftwood
    17 years ago

Not really, Joyce. Although I don't remember any GWer being picky. The ginger snaps were up to my usual standards. I often bring what I consider to be duds, or baking mistakes to work. They never know the difference.

• sandysgardens
    17 years ago

Forgot to post yesterday that OrDella's stuffed envy was mailed out.

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Another January- another seed swap...
    It was sure good to see those folks who could make it- and I did miss those who could not come- I guess we should consult the crystal ball for weather conditions before picking a date! Such are the joys of MN winters. You never know what to expect!
    There was great food- a beautiful location (thanks again Dotty)- exceptional company- and a ton of seeds! I think every one walked away with much more than they intended to.... So much for seedy resolutions!
    Believe it or not- there were a few seed packets left over that Dotty will be offering at her spring swap. I am sure details will be posted about that swap when the time draws near.
    There were offers to host the spring metro area GW plant swap and the Fall metro area GW swap as well! Those details will be posted later as the hosts check calendars and such.
    The mail in envelopes were well stuffed and will be making there way back home soon- Sandy is on top of things!! My envelopes have not left yet- but they will be soon!
    It was wonderful to spend some time with all of you- and I do look forward to seeing all of you again!
    Thanks for coming and sharing!
    Julie

• lazyweeder
    17 years ago

Thanks to Dottie and Julie for another fun seed swap. Dottie will have to share that peanut butter soup recipe...
    I sent my package out to Maidofshade today.

Dave

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21