SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

Korean velvet grass or Mascarene grass

cfmuehling
17 years ago

or korai shiba, or Zoysia tenuifolia.

These are the names I've found for Korean Velvet Grass.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it? I saw it on TV and it looked great (a California HGTV show). They said it was very, very expensive. I'm wondering if it might be worth it in areas where I have trouble, anyway. Here's what a blurb says, in case it's new to you, too:

The third species of Zoysia used for turf is called Korean velvet grass or Mascarene grass, Zoysia tenuifolia. It is a very fine textured species, but is the least cold tolerant of the three species. Zoysia tenuifolia is native to the Far East and was introduced in the U.S. from the Mascarene Islands. In the U.S. it is used in southern California as a low growing ground cover. Zoysia tenuifolia is the finest textured, least winter hardy of the zoysiagrasses. It has very fine, short, wiry leaf blades and forms a dense, fluffy turf. It is extremely slow to spread and is most often used as a ground cover. Emerald zoysiagrass is a hybrid between Zoysia japonica and Zoysia tenuifolia released by the U.S.D.A. and the Georgia Agricultural Experiment Station in 1955. Emerald combines the fine texture of Zoysia tenuifolia with the cold tolerance and faster rate of spread of Zoysia japonica. Emerald is similar to Zoysia matrella in appearance and habit.

Any thoughts on this?

Christine

Comments (6)

Sponsored