SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brent_in_nova

Favorite Evergreens for the Mid-Atlantic

Brent_In_NoVA
19 years ago

This year I have been thinking more about adding interest and structure to my garden with trees and shrubs. The reality is that I have not found a lot of evergreens that inspire me. For example, this fall I added 7 shrubs to my backyard and the only evergreen was a Fosters Holly (the others were 4 Juddi Viburnums, 1 Shasta Viburnum, and 1 Oakleaf Hydrangea).

So what are your favorite evergreens that do well here in the Mid-Atlantic? I am mostly thinking about medium sized shrubs, but would like to hear about trees, groundcovers and the like.

A couple comments of mine...

Azaleas: (I just posted a question about Evergreen Azaleas on the Virginia Forum) What do you expect from azaleas in the winter? Do any of yours stay green?

Laurels: In 2003 I planted 4 Prunus laurocerasus 'Otto Luyken' along the front of my house and I have to say that I really like them. Nice dark green foliage year round. The spring flowers are fairly inconspicuous but fairly fragrant. Maybe I should look into some other types of Laurels.

Conifers: This is an area that confuses me. So many to choose from and lots of confusing names. I tend to prefer the looks of broad-leaved evergreens, but I am sure my landscape could use a couple conifers (I have one ugly conifer in my front yard).

Camellias: These seem great, but from what I hear they are marginally hardy here on the edge of zone 6. I read about a few bad winters killing off much of the collection in DC (and I thought DC's winters were more mild than here in the outer 'burbs).

Hollies: I really love the looks of hollies. Nice green foliage and I love a holly covered in red berries. My biggest complain is with their prickly leaves. I picked a Fosters Holly because its leaves seem less prickly.

So what evergreens are looking good in your area this time of year?

- Brent

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!