SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bdodd444

Making Raised Beds

bdodd444
19 years ago

I just wanted to share my recent experience making raised beds in case anyone is interested. I read in a flower growers book about using a two bottom plow to make raised beds. Last month I plowed two furrows in opposite direction into each other and made a rough raised bed. I let it sit for a month to kill the cover crop. I tried 3 techniques to finish them. Some I put black plastic mulch over. Others I disked, and the last one I tilled lightly with my rototiller.

The results: Even discing lightly knocked them down too much. The soil under the mulch lost all of the clumps and is full or worms, it is very nice. The tilled area came out very well, so now I have nice raised beds sitting up about two feet high, with a nice smooth surface I planted directly with onions and lettuce.

I just wanted to share my experience in case anyone is considering this. The raised beds are 250' long and I left 10 foot rows between them that I currently have in cereal rye. My plan is to intensively grow cover crops in the aisles and put the residue on my beds. We'll see.

Brian

Comments (10)

Sponsored