SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
downeastwaves

Slugs...Yuck! HELP!!!

downeastwaves
19 years ago

Maine Man I'm taking your suggestion and starting a slug thread, maybe folks will offer up their methods of slug control.

Leasa wrote:

"We have slugs! LOTS of SLUGS!!! The last few nights I've been collecting them in zip lock Baggies. Quite a haul! Hope it helps by cutting them out of the breeding cycle."

Maine Man replies:

You might want to start a message thread about the slugs. We're in a woodsy area and have slugs, too. Your nighttime hand collecting technique sounds interesting. How do you pick them up? With your fingers? Is that safe? Is there any danger of catching slug diseases from them? I know in Texas we had to be careful about not catching leprosy from certain wildlife.

Leasa's method....

Here is what I've done. First for many months I've been washing out eggshells and after they dry squishing them in a jar. I heard that slugs would not cross over them and I really did not want my baby gourds to be eaten by the slugs--well slugs do not seem the least bit interested in the gourds with the egg shells around them

My neighbor gave me a bunch of cuke babies and the slugs had a FEAST! The first night I lost about 6 baby plants. I put what I had for eggshells around and it helped but she gave me a lot of plants so I figured I better see just how many slugs were snacking on my plants. At dusk I took a trip around the garden.

I was SHOCKED!!! The slugs were having a party in my garden and they were inviting slugs from all over to come join them!!!

I put on a latex glove, got a zip lock baggie and went on safari. I could not believe how many slugs I picked! Good think the trash man is not fussy about what he takes! I do not touch them so I feel real safe from any germs they might carry.

My neighbor said I should sprinkle salt around some of my potato beds, she said they would dissolve--oew gross, they do! She said to be careful not to get the salt close to the plants. Well for the past week I've been picking slugs and sprinkling salt. There are lots less of them.

I'm not sure I really want to know the breeding habits of slugs; I just hope taking out a bunch of them will help in my plants. They really did a job on one patch of potatoes and lots of cukes fell victim and one hosta got hit pretty bad.

They seem to be out on the wet/foggy nights more than on the one dry evening we had!

Please share your tips for slug control...

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!