SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardener365

RE: What I've learned Reading Here Today

gardener365
15 years ago

Hi all, first of all thanks so much for your help.

This is my first year. I've learned a lot in the thread:

"Selling by weight vs. Pre-bagged Produce". If you don't mind I have some basic questions that require information I just can't pick up in a quick read. So again, this is very much appreciated on your's and mine's behalf. Best Regards...

I'm growing a greenhouse full of flowers and herb and tomato starts (16 foot long attached x 6 wide) and I've got plenty of room to accomodate at least 1500 4" pots I suppose if I really jam em in there so that's my size of operation. And then I have a hoophouse that's unheated but is 25 foot in length and 10 foot wide that will accomodate more plants as things warm up and I start needing the extra space. It serves as a shadehouse and winter storage house.

I've timed things so that I can sow my tree seeds along with cuttings, etc- whatever I need to do starting after the last frost here so basically I'll begin to grow another entire round of 1500 potted plants, starting at the time I begin selling at the markets. I happen to grow a lot of Japanese maple seedlings, etc- some of which I'll be selling. All being hybrids of cultivated forms, again from seed though.

Ultimately my greenhouse will be used only during winter for grafting of conifers and deciduous plant material as I'm on my way to being a small-scale online nursery. My addiction is conifers. Until then, I'll enjoy the market as a source of extra income and as a way to start my conifer nursery.

In addition I'll be working outdoors tending 7000 seeds of four varieties of corn.

All my corn seeds are the sugar-enhanced "hybrids" and are not effected from cross-pollination. I did this to allow life to be simple so I can keep them all growing right next to each other.

An assortment:

Sugar Buns (yellow)

Colorow (yellow)

Whiteout (white)

Mystique (bi-color)

Brocade (bi-color)

---------------------------------------------------------

Flowers Prices Question:

Zonal Geraniums (largely branched in 4" pot)

I planted the 'Orbit Series'.

Red, Appleblossom, White, Violet

And also the "Burpee Paint Box Mix"

What do these sell for? I'm thinking about 3.50 each or 3 for 10.

Other seedlings I'll be selling:

Mountain Mint

Chinese Lanterns

Borage

Peppers

Lavender

Heirloom Tomato Starts all are red-slicing except for one yellow Cherry tomato. 'Pink Accordian' is my oddball one, however, I have heard it sells well and is a great slicer in addition to its' funky shape.

Basil

Various perennials - just a whole bunch of things.

I'll also be selling (trial) a screening conifer similar to Thuja 'Green Giant'. 6-9" cuttings in a 5" tall tree pot 3x3x5" deep: 3 dollars I was thinking again. I might get away with 4, whatcha think?

My food crops are very basic:

Corn 4 bucks a dozen

Peppers 2 for a buck

Tomatoes I have no idea. 50 cents each I don't know.

Green Beans 3 bucks a quart. I have no idea!

Sweet Peas same, no idea (all greens in plastic containers)

Beets Never grown em. I'm growing a large purple one. Chicago something.

Basil How do I price Basil?

Watermelon 'Cream of Sas.' Probalby won't sell. Yellow core with lemony flavor. Supposed to be like a lemon 'icee'. Maybe it might sell. I have no idea.

Cantaloupe - A super large Heirloom: 'Canoe Creek Colossal'

Radish 'China White' Price? Up to 18" long?

Chamomile How to sell? Price?

Dill Price? Packaging?

So the only two things I'll need a scale for are the two melons.

Presentation:

Nice Tablecloths & Baskets I think are a real smart investment.

Thanks for any suggestions!

With Regards,

Dax

Other pertinent information:

And I believe I need a tent to help in cooling the food and it might even help with overall presentation. My market allows for samples to be cut of tomatoes for example...

My two ways of hauling are a full-size Chevy van with no rear seats as well as an S-10 Chevy pick-up truck with no cab cover.

Ice?:

What food items from my list will require ice under "what circumstances" if applicable, i.e. storing an entire vanful of corn ears picked the morning of and keeping them fresh till 1 or 2 pm when the market shuts down? Again, I appreciate your help.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!