SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avoirgold

WANTED: want list for 2008 spring mag swap

avoirgold
16 years ago

2008 Spring MAG Swap: Plants You WANT List

DIRECTIONS for the WANTED list:

If you're new to the swaps, please take the time and have the courtesy to read these posts. They're here to help everyone have a good time.

Yes, you can come if you don't have any plants.

1. Post a list of the plants you want, ideally with Latin names to avoid confusion and cultivar names if they have them, and you know what they are.

2. Read other people's lists. If you see things you want and would like to swap or trade for, e-mail the person to arrange it.

3. Do NOT arrange the swap or trade on this thread.

4. Do NOT post a list of plants that you HAVE for swapping or trading on this list. There is a separate HAVE thread for this purpose.

5. Do NOT discuss who will be bringing what kind of Bavarian apple tart or other food to the swap. There is a separate HAVE thread for food.

6. Do update your member page with your Haves and Wants.

7. Much more info on the Haves list thread.

Wishing everyone a great swap! Happy gardening!

Comments (48)

• kimka
    16 years ago

2008 Spring MAG Swap: Plants You WANT List

DIRECTIONS for the WANTED list:

If you're new to the swaps, please take the time and have the courtesy to read these posts. They're here to help everyone have a good time.

Yes, you can come if you don't have any plants.

1. Post a list of the plants you want, ideally with Latin names to avoid confusion and cultivar names if they have them, and you know what they are.

2. Read other people's lists. If you see things you want and would like to swap or trade for, e-mail the person to arrange it.

3. Do NOT arrange the swap or trade on this thread.

4. Do NOT post a list of plants that you HAVE for swapping or trading on this list. There is a separate HAVE thread for this purpose.

5. Do NOT discuss who will be bringing what kind of Bavarian apple tart or other food to the swap. There is a separate HAVE thread for food.

6. Do update your member page with your Haves and Wants.

7. Much more info on the Haves list thread.

Wishing everyone a great swap! Happy gardening!

• oscarthecat
    16 years ago

All right, I'll jump in with my wants, although I'm sure most people, like me, don't know their haves yet.

Cinnamon ferns
    Ostrich ferns
    Woodland phlox (Phlox divaricata)
    Brunnera of any type
    Goldheart bleeding heart
    Jack in the pulpit

2-6 inch plastic pots

• Related Discussions

wanted: list for 2007 mag spring swap

Q

Comments (80)
    Wish Design: I'll bring you strawberries (we talked about this, no?) and I can bring you both chocolate mint (yes, smells like chocolate mint) and spearmint. let me know if you need both. Busyasabee: Find me. I'll have named and unnamed verigated hosta. Watergal, too cool! :) I live in waterless hell sometimes, but things do seem to winter well -- if the voles don't get them. I'm taking LynnT's suggest and buying wire mesh today to make cages for bulbs. I'm tired of watching foliage wilt before my very eyes. LynnT -- didn't you get my email about the bucket of Blackberry Lilies sitting next to your bucket of Jacob Klein on the cinder blocks by my pine tree? They're a'waiting you. Hosta Albo Margineta is potted, sitting on the ground in a plastic tray ready to go to the swap. It's not labeled yet, but if you don't have any... It's a nice, medium-sized upright. I'm ready. I want you to bring plastic bags to take home the stuff that sulks. Can't wait! C.
    ...See More

WANTED: 2010 spring mag swap: plants you want list

Q

Comments (42)
    I have tons of garden wants, but here's what's been on my mind lately (greatly influenced by what I saw on your "Have" lists): Cranesbill/hardy geranium (anything other than the terribly strong, citronella-smelling kind--I have that one) Black raspberry cane Sweet woodruff Hellebore (to replace the trades I killed last year) Burgundy hellebore Lemon balm More snow drops (love these!!) Crocus Winter aconite Japanese anemone Digitalis (foxglove) Another Japanese fern Peony, white Cutting from a yellow climbing rose that will climb 10 feet or more Cutting from any fragrant or high-climbing rose Melampodium Sanvitalia (creeping zinnia) Stock Eupatorium coelestinum (hardy ageratum/mist flower) Symphytum (comphrey) Thalictrum (meadow rue) Tiarella (false mitrewort) Trillium (wake-robin) Trollium (globe flower) Viola odorata Arisaema (jack in the pulpit) Aruncus (goat's beard) Dictamus (gas plant) Sanguinaria canadensis (bloodroot), especially "Multiplex" Heuchera (coralbells) Iris cristata Chrysogonum virginianum (goldenstar) Eustoma grandiflorum (lisianthus) - pink, double petalled variety Irish moss Any moss Primrose Asparagus Watercress French tarragon Any interesting hosta (suggest one and I'll look it up) Whoa! I think I got carried away!
    ...See More

wanted: food and stuff list for the 2010 spring mag swap

Q

Comments (41)
    I'm doing my Costco run on Wednesday, is there anything else we need? Just want to double-check. I'm presuming there will be grill equipment on site? If not, then my alternate food to bring is -- cooked rotisserie chicken & rolls. Let me know. Jette
    ...See More

wanted: 2009 spring mag swap want list

Q

Comments (31)
    I can only take anything that is deer-proof, as everything else basically disappears from my garden. That's a pretty short list, but here are some I could use more of: Monkshood (any variety) Trillium Ferns (especially varieties other than Christmas fern, which I have lots of) Bleeding Heart Astilbe Iris (especially any named or unusual varieties) Columbine Lavender Perennial salvia Heuchera Virginia bluebells Echinacea Foxgloves (digitalis) Pulmonaria Anything else that's deer-resistant and shade-tolerant Also, my vegetable garden is fenced off, so I might be interested in some veggie plants.
    ...See More
  • foodeefish
    16 years ago

Wanted, Black Knight Budleia, Large, Potted and preferably complete with butterfly's. Let's have fun. Steve in Baltimore County.

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb

• karyn1
    16 years ago

My Wanted List

Any Heerloom Tomato Plants (esp. Purple Cherokee)
    Green, Green, Yellow, Black, or other Sweet Pepper
    Hot Peppers- Any kind
    Eggplant Plants
    Any other Vegetable plants
    Bear's Britches (2-4)
    Blue Leaf Hastas (4-6)
    Wisteria (Not white)
    Succulents of any variety

• spanaval
    16 years ago

I'd love some water lilies, not lotus and/or other flowering water plants, pink or yellow shades of hellebores and unusual tropicals. I have no idea what I'll have. Probably some of everything, similar to what I brought to last years swap. It just depends on what I'm heavy on in the greenhouse at that time but I promise to bring more basil this year. lol
    Karyn

• oscarthecat
    16 years ago

Native and non-native plants for dry or wet shade.
    Any other natives for part sun/full sun
    Veggies

I'm sure I'll find plenty of things I can't live without at the swap.

• nancymd2
    16 years ago

After checking the local suppliers I guess I also better say I could use surplus square plastic 4 in pots. I think the high petroleum prices are doing it to us again. Steve in Baltimore county.

• diana_lynn
    16 years ago

Groundcovers
    Â European Ginger (need lots)
    Â Lily of the Valley
    Â Variegated pachysandra (not the plain green)
    Â Wintergreen

General Plants
    Â Hellebores (any color/kind)
    Â Epimedium
    Â Ferns, especially Christmas Fern
    Â Jack in the Pulpit
    Â Any native evergreen tree or shrub
    Â Aucuba plant or cuttings

I will post my haves list in the next couple of weeks-- things are coming up quickly!

• avoirgold
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm tempted by anything, but I've recently been wishing for a few things in particular---

a white or yellow climbing rose (cuttings, I guess)
    climbing hydrangea (again, cuttings)
    pink lisianthus
    Russian sage
    white lupine
    any shade lovers (especially hostas)

Will post some things on the "Haves" thread.

• tvalenti
    16 years ago

Aquilegia vulgaris Black Barlow
    Aquilegia vulgaris William Guiness
    Dianthus x Horatio
    Euphorbia dulcis Chameleon
    Euphorbia Tasmanian Tiger
    Heuchera Raspberry Ice
    Heuchera Amber Waves
    Panicum virgatum Cloud Nine
    Penstemon mexicale x Red Rocks
    Sedum spectibile Brilliant
    Thymus minus Elfin
    Veronica Darwin's Blue
    Viola mandshurica Fuji Dawn
    Viola Etain
    Arum (Italian Arum)
    Clematis
    Daylilies (anything reblooming or a shade/tint of purple)
    Epimedium
    Perennial Geranium
    Hellebores
    Heuchera (Gold or purple varieties)
    Heucherella
    Phlox (Tall)
    Solomon's Seal
    Tiarella
    Verbena
    Thornless Blackberries
    Lowbush or Highbush Blueberries
    Really anything that isn't too invasive or needy. I love interesting foliage as much as blooming plants.
    Purple is my favorite for foliage or flowers. I could also use more shade plants. Anything for under a maple or in a naturalized area. Tempt me. You never knowÂ
    Jen

• tvalenti
    16 years ago

Almost any bulb
    foxgove
    lupines
    perennial poppies
    hardy banana
    prickly pear
    hardy fig
    maypops or other hardy passion fruit vine
    lilac - miss kim or similar
    prickly pear
    hens and chicks
    hardy agave
    pink lily of the valley
    pink lavender
    perennial hardy verbena

Terri

• mdrugbymom
    16 years ago

Should have added above:

Cut bamboo for stakes

Thanks,
    Terri

• gardnwatch
    16 years ago

I'd love to find the following:

Lemon verbena (Aloysia triphylla)
    Hens and chicks plants (Sempervivum tectorum)
    Creeping Thymes (Thymus praecox spp. articus )
    Moneywort /creeping jenny (Lysimachia nummularia)
    Feverfew ( Tanacetum parthenium )
    Aster flower (Asteraceae)
    Clematis
    Bougainvillea (Bougainvillea sp.)
    Mandevilla (Mandevilla sp.)
    Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia sp.)

• gardengrove_ac
    16 years ago

I'd like my usual..
    Daylillies
    iris
    foxglove
    delphinium

• busyasabee
    16 years ago

Looking primarily for tropicals (big flowers/leaves and night blooming plants are my favorites) and also medicinal/edible herbs and shrubs. I have several beds to plant, including one for a restaurant, and a truck with a covered bed, so I'll be looking to do a good bit of swapping.
    Peace,
    Nate

Asclepias physocarpa-"Hairy balls" milkweed
    Mirabilis jalapa- 4 o'clocks
    Trichocereus or other night blooming cactus
    Artemisia annua- Sweet Anne
    Cold-hardy Kiwi
    Pawpaw
    Bolivian Sunflower
    Five-leaf akebia
    Hardy May-pop Passiflora incarnata
    Argyreia nervosa- Baby woodrose
    Voodoo Lily
    Wolf-berry
    Euphorbia trigona- African Milk Tree
    Centella asiatica- Gotu Kola
    Pogostemon cablin- Patchouli
    Withania somnifera- Ashwagandha
    Azadirachta indica- Neem
    Hibiscus manihot- Edible hibiscus
    Synadenium grantii- African Milk Bush
    Clitoria ternatea - Blue pea clitoria
    Heimia salicifolia-Sinicuichi
    Cayaponia tayuya  Tayuya
    Thunbergia alata-Black Eyed Susan Vine
    Solandra maxima-Cup of Gold Vine
    Calycanthus floridus- Carolina Allspice

• gardengranma
    16 years ago

These are on my wish list:

August Lily
    Hosta ~ Blue Mouse Ears
    Hosta ~ August Moon
    Hosta ~ Honeybells
    Hosta ~ Moonlight Sonata
    Hosta ~ Francee
    Hosta ~ Blue Angel
    Black Knight Butterfly Bush
    Monkshood (blue)
    Firewitch dianthus
    Lambs Ears

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    16 years ago

Hi All: I have totally redone my yard, you'll see, but now I need hosta and other shade-loving plants as a backdrop for my fishponds/waterfalls. What can I trade?

• riderup
    16 years ago

Any phlox paniculata
    Sedum (taller growing vars)
    Any aster
    Iris: bearded, Dutch

• rian
    16 years ago

I'm looking for just a few simple things:
    catnips
    lemon balm
    red and purple monarda
    rudbekia
    russian sage
    bog sage
    light lavender/blue phlox

I'm keeping this garden going in a simpler way!
    Eric

• leslies
    16 years ago

I'm running out of space but I would love to try to grow gas plant, dictamnus alba or rosea.

There would always be room for another tree peony. If you've seen the Disney version of Wind in the Willows and remember how Toad reacted when he saw the Motor Car, you'll know what I was like when I saw my first tree peony.

I have a yellow deciduous azalea but it's only about 4 inches tall, so a back-up would be nice!

• treehouse
    16 years ago

Eric: Can't e you from the GW, but I have bog sage and am happy to share..

• venusruiz
    16 years ago

The only thing I really want is a couple of 'Eva's Purple Ball' heirloom tomato seedlings. Seeds for them would be OK too. They are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, maybe a few daylilies.

Jan

• darcieg
    16 years ago

Hi,

I want/need a male inkberry bush. Also a couple of beech seedlings for bonsai. Thank you so much! Any information on how to find/buy a male inkberry will be truly appreciated.

• LynneinMD
    16 years ago

I'm looking for anything that will grow in FULL shade. Some things I had in mind:
    -blue or purple cordyalis
    -pink lily of the valley
    -goatsbeard
    -jack in the pulpit
    -lady's slipper
    -jacob's ladder
    -any hostas other than the traditional green or green/white

IF it grows in full shade, I'm probably interested! :-)

My garden is only a couple years old, so I don't have a lot to trade, but I will try to list a few things.

I'm excited to meet everyone!
    Darcie

• bugmagnet
    16 years ago

Well, if it grows and isn't finicky or an orange ditch lily, it can probably come home with me. =)

I'm not picky about color or variety, really.

I'm looking for some:
    *Solomon's Seal,
    *daylilies - named or not, doesn't matter, just anything but orange ditch lilies, I have a ton of those!
    *Clematis - I have NEVER had one of these survive, help! Color doesn't matter, I just want one to GROW!
    *Forsythia
    *Witch Hazel
    *Short nandinas
    *Azaleas are always handy (hey, Jen, I'll take a couple of your unknowns)
    *Anything full sun that will get to be knee to waist height, especially anything with interesting winter foliage...

*My mom asked me to ask around for some of those half-round hanging/mounting pots, the ones that look like someone sliced a pot in half...she can't find them anywhere!

Lynne

• tropic_of_chesapeake
    16 years ago

Here are a few things that I wish to have:

Artemisia
    Baptisia Australis
    Bleeding Heart -- White or Red
    Blueberry
    Campanula
    Fig cutting -- purple fig
    Jack in the Pulpit
    Jacob's Ladder, regular or "Brise d'Anjou"
    Lupine
    Wild Ginger/ European Ginger

I have a part of my garden that is dry, full shade. Should you have any suitable plant for such spot, I will be happy to take them or trade you something. Please see my Have list. It's in my "My Page", too. Thanks.

• madeleinef
    16 years ago

Anything for a woodland bed: heuchera (even purple palace), ferns (any), hardy cyclamen, astilbe (any), asarum, arum, hellebores, trillium, columbines (not doubles), foxglove and any other shade lovers I may have missed.
    Vines - Lonicera sempervirens, Lonicera periclymenum Serotina (late Dutch honeysuckle), Trachelospermum jasminoides 'Madison' (confederate jasmine 'Madison'), Campsis radicans 'Flava' (yellow trumpet vine), Bignonia capreolata 'Dragon Lady', Parthenocissus henryana (Silver Veined virginia creeper).
    Anything for a sunny xeric bed: opuntia, coreopsis (esp. threadleaf), sedums, sempervivums, euphorbias, trunking yuccas, hardy agaves, other xerics.
    Anything tropicalesque (warm colored flowers): Cannas, bananas, castor beans, hardy tapioca - manihot esculenta, philodendron selloum, gumnnera, lantana, Zantedeschia aethiopica 'White Giant' or other hardy calla, hardy amarylis, datura, brugmansia, any thing big - bright - and tropical.
    Full sun to part shade cool colored plants (purples, blues and greens). Not picky at all about these.
    And lastly a few heirloom tomatoes for a friend who lost his seedlings when he went away for a week's vacation.

Thanks
    Tony

• karunatwo
    16 years ago

Would love any kind of veggie or fruit, thanks!
    Madeleine

• annebert
    16 years ago

Carpet Bugle

• foodeefish
    16 years ago

My list is short. I will be late (after 1 pm) because I have a rehearsal that morning.

Corsican hellebore
    Hellebore with green flowers
    bromeliads
    pulmonaria

• lynnt
    16 years ago

I am in need of Bamboo to stake my tomato plants so if you have any please look at my "Have" list if you would like to trade.

Thanks

• jane_artist
    15 years ago

My wants are pretty simple this year; my beds are getting full!

Centaurea montana
    borage
    verbena bonariensis
    yellow evening primrose (I have TONS of the pink!)
    lauren's grape poppies
    foxgloves, especially rose or purple
    iris foetedissima/Gladwin iris (I lost a beautiful mature clump to borers last winter -- waaaaah!)
    miscellaneous full-shade plants

I will be leaving early as I must be at another swap in Arlington by about 2. Annebert, it looks like we may need to make other arrangements to get our goodies to each other!

LynnT

• kaffeina
    15 years ago

I want:

Chives! I gave away several pots full at last year's swap and then all of mine up and DIED, boo hoo!

I also need:

Phlox subulata/Creeping Phlox--any color except neon pink or magenta.

Dianthus plumarius/Pinks--any color except neon pink or magenta.

Thymus x citriodorus/Citrus Thyme.

• layne_nova
    15 years ago

jane above me i have chives, the garlic ones w/ white flowers

my wants are:

the wild columbine of red/yellow (mine didn't come back this year), i got a yellow one last year but does anyone know if it is a true wildtype?

arisema splendens

cuttings of moonlight climing hydreangea if anyone has it

• bethbonemiller
    15 years ago

I'd love to have these:

1) Tree peony
    2) Fig, any kind, cutting or rooted plant
    3) Aquarium plant, low to medium light plant
    4) Black bamboo
    5) Pepper, medium hot and hot type
    6) Blue berry

I'll have some oriental vegetable, would love to trade/give. Only limited seedlings started though. Please check out my gardenweb webpage for updated have/want list.

Thanks,
    -Layne

• rian
    15 years ago

I am looking for the following:

any astilbe - especially reds and pinks
    digitalis - any
    black eyed susans - rudbeckia
    small leafed hostas
    shade plants- especially native woodland types
    compact plants for sunny rock garden
    vines - shade, sun, perennial or annual!
    epimedium
    lamium - spotted dead nettle
    trillium
    blue phlox
    basil
    rosemary
    aruncus - goats beard
    corydalus

Beth

• cfmuehling
    15 years ago

Adding to my want list of April 5th:

monarda Jacob Kline or Raspberry Wine

basil

• banishtheivy
    15 years ago

Hi all.
    I'm going simple this year, too. :)

I would like to find:
    any color yarrow or their seeds
    yellow lantana (any actually, but am focusing on yellow)
    yellow or blue baptsia (can't keep mine alive!)
    hens & chicks (preferably a burgundy or red color)
    yellow coreopsis
    any blue anenome
    blue delphinium
    amazonia
    some of that burgundy leaved Maltese Cross. (I'd not seen that before!)
    orange begonias
    'purple dome' asters
    any agastache (Steven got me addicted!)

Someone last year gave me gorgeous 'Cherokee Sunset' Rudbeckia and a 'Chianti' sunflower. Love to have more..

Dawnstorm, you got any of those darned bean plants that are purple and grow really huge? Reisen comes from them? Their name escapes me at the moment. You give me one almost every year.

Kimka, will monkshood take full sun? I'd love some if it did.
    Rian ... you mentioned saffron crocus bulbs..?!?
    As usual, anything red and full sun.

Thanks all!
    Christine
    Christine at EveningsFall dot com

• giverny
    15 years ago

Hi There

I had a great time at my first swap last year - thanks to Christine!

I am hoping someone may have some of the following :

Japanese Anemone (varieties other than Honorine Jobert or Max Vogel)
    Wood Hyacinth
    Geranium - perennials (not annual pelargoniums) - any type
    Dogwoods (babies are fine)
    Ferns (Maidenhair or Lady would be great) - any other is fine
    Variegated hosta - any type except those with curled edges
    Monkshood
    Epimedium - white or other other unusual varieties (I have sulphureum and rubrum)
    Trillium
    Witchhazel
    Autumn Clematis

Veggies - we're going to try a veggie patch this year:
    Leeks
    broccoli
    zucchini
    cherry tomato plants
    Lettuce
    basil
    parsley
    thyme
    spinach
    cabbage

Thanks and look forward to seeing everyone next week.

Mary Jane

• amybee
    15 years ago

Hi,
    Would love any of the following:
    Golden/yellow hostas
    Blue hostas
    Anemone 'Honorine Jobert'
    Japanese painted ferns
    Tassel fern
    Hens and chicks
    Varigated Solomon's Seal
    European ginger
    Maypops
    Asters (shorter)
    Tiarellas
    Thanks!

• pthiringer
    15 years ago

Ok. Here are my wants...

Jasmine
    Winter jasmine (I'm intrigued. had never heard of this but saw it on someone's list)
    Blueberry
    lily of the valley (pink or white)
    Yellow crocosmia
    lupines (pastel colors)
    Agastache or liatris (I'm trying to attract butterflies and hummingbirds so anything along those lines)

Heirloom tomatoes (seed or plants), especially:
    red zebra, green zebra, and sun gold
    Celebrity tomato

Amy

• rian
    15 years ago

I can only take anything that is deer-proof, as everything else basically disappears from my garden. That's a pretty short list, but here are some I could use more of:

Monkshood (any variety)
    Trillium
    Ferns
    Pink Bleeding Heart
    Astilbe
    Iris
    Columbine
    Hardy geranium
    Lavender
    Perennial salvia
    Heuchera
    Anything else that's deer-resistant

Also, my vegetable garden is fenced off, so I might be interested in some veggie plants.

• careyj
    15 years ago

As long as I'm dreaming...a Mohawk viburnum or already rooted cutting (too early to take cuttings this year)

Cristine, what time are you coming to the swap? E-mail me and let me know.

• dawnstorm
    15 years ago

Ok, here are mine, but i will probly take anything someones trying to get rid of :)

astillbe
    ferns
    hostas
    creeping thyme
    heuchera
    bleeding hearts
    native grasses

dogwoods (saplings)
    redbuds (saplings)

And anything that will grow in shade and clay soil LOL

Sorry I dont know latin names

Carey

• ryanzone7
    15 years ago

Specifically Want:
    Tomato plant (husband starting to ask me about tomatoes!)As long as it's red he doesn't care what type, Mr. Picky not being a huge fan of the yellow toms.
    Cauliflower if possible
    Tall phlox (I see that some of you have that)
    Oregano
    Zucchini

(I just know that I will come home with a carload of plants!)

• wishdesign
    15 years ago

all I really want is gardening books and magazines (esp Fine Gardening)
    ialbtc

• lynnt
    15 years ago

I'm always looking to try new things, but here are some plants I'd love to have:

- Helleborus
    - Heliotropes
    - Heathers
    - Caryopteris
    - Blueberries
    - Japanese Maples
    - Peonies
    - Low growing bedding plants for borders
    - Pink or white columbines (or any that aren't blue or purple)
    - Any shade plants (except hostas and lily of the valley)
    - Clematis

Non-plant items:
    - Large pots
    - Bamboo stakes
    - Horse/cow/rabbit manure

--Jean

• oogy4plants
    15 years ago

Last minute request -- I had a crew in last weekend and we finally finished the drystone walls in my backyard -- which means I have room now for full sun plants!

Anyone got some coneflowers to spare? I'll take purple or white, but would really love some of the new orangey ones.

Lynn

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH