SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sgiesler_gw

Best varieties to plant? and chit chat please!

sgiesler
19 years ago

I have huge gardens (1 - 40 x 50 and 6 - 12 x 50 plus mini-gardens here and there)and have wanted to be a market gardener for a long time. This year I am hoping to get a hoop house up soon and plan on adding lots of flower and additional lasagna beds. A local store owner told hubby that she would be interested in buying produce from us. We also have a farmers market that we possibly could attend. My father was the market master one summer and I have fond memories of my job working for a vendor there. I am planning on planting many varieties of tomatoes this year. I have early girl, oregon spring, yellow pear, cherry and more growing. I also have planted brandywine, brandy boy and many different kinds of heirlooms. I am planting herbs (not necessarily will try to sell them) and I will be putting lots of flowers out. Other than that I am a little clueless. I want to plant peas and beans but those crops require too much picking for me to plants lots of them. What would you experienced sellers say is a must plant besides tomatoes? I don't usually plant lettuce or radishes but if they are big sellers, I may reconsider. I don't want to sell corn. We plant it for ourselves but it is so common around here, I don't wish to compete. I love to plant and grow all kinds of squash but have no idea what would sell. The market always does a brisk trade but the area is not rich so I am sure prices are modest. While I really could use the money, I will be planting these gardens anyhow. It would be nice to plant wiser with a better chance of ending up at the market or the local store. Also does anyone have a schedule of when they plant what so they always have enough to sell throughout the summer. Extra produce will be given away. I have lots of takers lined up for anything that I can't sell. It is unseasonably cold here this year. Normally I would be out by now preparing my experimental gardens. It was only 9 degress at 8 oclock this morning. Hopefully soon my hoop house will take shape and I can work outside. Hope to hear from you. Any garden market talk is desirable even if it doesn't address anything mention in the post. Sorry for the rambling on....... Shirley

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz