SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ccl1968

Calling Japanese Maple experts- which reds stay red?

ccl1968
9 years ago

Hi all,

I was looking for a JM that would stay red spring, summer and fall. I did some research on this, and came up with a list. A wholesaler was dealing on JMs locally, and I sent him my list. He delivered two Tamukyamas that were gorgeous, but mostly green with some bronze. He said the reason they were green was because they were in the shade at his farm. He saw my location (mostly shade, some sun) and said he didn't think they would turn red because they were not in full sun. I ended up purchasing them because they were of beautiful structure. They did turn a scarlet red in the fall, which was very nice. But I am thinking I was somewhat duped. I know there are various cultivars of Tamukyama, but I am thinking it should not be all dark green/slight bronze right now. I just found some Crimson Queen at Lowes (I know.. ) AND a Tamukyama that is also just as red. My other JMs do great in my shaded yard, and I want some that will be red all growing season as well. So my questions are:
1. Is it true that a cultivar that is supposed to be red during the entire growing season will green/bronze out if in too much shade?
2. Is it possible to trust that an accurate variety is represented buying from a big box store (such as Lowes)? I COULD go with a JM nursery, but cannot afford the $200-300 pricetag.
3. Does the trunk color make a difference? All the "reds" I have seen have green trunk- maybe grafted?

Thanks,
CCL

Comments (4)