SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buckeye_brian

How do you get a Market started?

buckeye_brian
16 years ago

Hello everyone...I'm new here but would really like to start market gardening. I have been lurking awhile and taking in all the information.

I live in a fairly rural area, but close enough to Walmart and Krogers to not be too far out. The problem I have is there isn't a farmers market withing 30-minutes of me in any direction. There is agriculture everywhere you look and a few people sell their wares at cross roads.

I have been to farmers markets and love the atmosphere, fresh produce etc, etc. I have gardened a bunch...but just for us at home. I never thought about actually selling my extra produce. Then I said to myself, "...self...why just sell the extra, why don't you plant extra to sell?"

Since we do not have one close by...I was thinking about organizing one. There isn't a Market Garden Local #100 that I need to contact or anything is there? Would I contact the VFW or American Legion or Fire Dept and see if we could use their parking lot? What are your basic rules for venders? What would the vender fee go toward?

Basically I am asking how market gardens are organized and who do you organize them with?

Thanks...Brian

Comments (9)

Sponsored