SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_md_gw

Preventing germination of Japanese Red Maple seeds

brenda_md
14 years ago

I have a problem that is opposite of what many people seem to express on this site. That is how to prevent the germination of Japanese red maple (JRM) seeds or possibly even prevent seed formation. I have a quite nice JRM (cannot recall which variety it is). This tree is planted with many other shrubs and groundcover around it in a very large mulched bed. Each year many seedlings come up which I spray with Roundup to eliminate. If they germinate in an area that is just mulch, there is no problem with using Roundup. However, the seeds fall and germinate within the groundcover (junipers, etc.) as well as in and under the other shrubbery. It is in these latter areas where it is a lot of work to destroy the seedlings as spraying will cause damage to the other plants. My only option is to pull them out manually. This year I have a bumper crop of seedlings, literally a red carpet.

I have inquired about preventative options for seed formation such as Florel or light dormant oil spray when the tree is in bloom and was informed neither of these can be used on the JRM without causing damage to the leaves. Preen Pre-emergence is not effective against JRM seedlings, only certain types of weeds. The seedlings are so prolific this year that it almost makes me want to cut the tree down. I probably already know the answer, but will ask the question any way. Does anyone know of a workable option to prevent seed formation or seed germination?

Comments (4)