SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mensplace

fava (broad beans) & mao inhibitors

mensplace
14 years ago

As though we don't have enough to worry about!

For any taking MAO Inhibitors, you would be wise to read about the warnings concerning the dangers of eating FAVA beans while taking such meds. I read recently that up top 50 percent of our population take such meds, so I will leave the warnings re FAVA beans up to you.

Comments (4)

• rxkeith
    14 years ago

while the interaction between mao inhibitors and fava beans is real, i am rather skeptical that up to 50 percent of the population is on a mao inhibitor. these drugs are prescribed for severe depression that does not respond to other meds. as a pharmacist for over 25 years, i have only rarely dispensed this class of medication. i would be interested to know where you read this info, and how they came to their conclusion.

keith

• mensplace
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In One Second After there was a reference that 50% of our population is on antidepressants. Another article I read said that FAVA beans could also conflict with other meds, but I am certainly NOT a doctor, though with taking 13 pills every morning and three in the evening, I should have been. I was simply asserting that folks might want to be sure of what they are consuming. Like at some local farmers markets they sell herbs that can really drop the BP such as yellow root. Even some south American root veggis require knowledge of how to treat them before eating.

• User
    14 years ago

Certain people are genetically unable to cope with Favabeans: it's called "favism" and it's a hemolytic anemia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose-6-phosphate_dehydrogenase_deficiency

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-favism.htm

• mensplace
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"Fava Beans and Levadopa
    Fava beans contain levadopa, the same chemical in prescription drugs used to treat ParkinsonÂs disease. The young plants and beans seem to contain the highest concentration of levadopa.
    Some medical studies have shown that eating fava beans can help control the symptoms of ParkinsonÂs; in fact, some studies find that the effects of fava levadopa last longer than the prescription variety. There may be "helping" chemicals in the bean that act synergistically with the levadopa.
    However, there are some caveats involved with the substitution of fava beans for levadopa:
    Â The concentration of levadopa in fava beans is unpredictable.
    Â Some people have an allergic reaction to raw fava beans.
    Â MAOI medications plus levadopa can equal fatal high blood pressure.
    Â If a person has undiagnosed favism, they may suffer kidney failure from eating fava beans.
    Many people with ParkinsonÂs can benefit from eating fava beans; however, it should be discussed with a doctor first (Holden).
    Other
    Some people display intestinal insult after ingesting raw fava beans, which is an indication of an allergy. Logically, this sensitized group should avoid the uncooked beans.

Sponsored