SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Rice bean taste test

Today we tried sampling the 3 rice beans I grew this year as green beans, Little White Rice, Ritz Escoffier and Comtesse de Chambord.

Raw - Ritz Escoffier and Comtesse de Chambord were tender and had a sweetness to them, couldn't tell them apart. Little White rice was tender but lacked the sweetness of the other two.

Cooked - Comtesse de Chambord and Ritz Escoffier were very tender and still held that touch of sweetness. The Little White Rice were tender, the tiny beans that had formed in the slightly more mature pods were also tasty but lacked that little touch of sweetness the other two had.

To be honest, I couldn't taste a difference between Ritz Escoffier and Comtesse de Chambord. I grew a plant of each of these two varieties in the greenhouse for comparison, the only difference was the beans on R.E. were slightly bigger. Remy thought they might be the same bean, I was beginning to think they were a different variety but now not so sure. As the seed I had of these two came from two different countries I've started more seed from my own plants harvested this year for another comparison. Yes I know, I've become a bean nerd LOL.

Annette

Comments (10)

Sponsored